On The Corner Sampled on Starsky & Hutch?

JSngry

rostasi discovered this and we've been discussing it today. There's a very explicit extract from On The Corner that keep popping up throughout this, and at first I thought it was a case of Lalo Schifrin replicating the riff and having it played for his own sountrack sessions, but Rod is adamant that no, it's an actual sample from OTC that was put on a tape loop and then incorporated into the final ST segment.

At first I was skeptical, seems like a lot of work for a TV soundtrack in 1975, but the more I listen, and the more he breaks it down into little samples and loops them so that specific, isolated comparisons are possible, Miles vs Lalo...I think I'm convinced, probably. Lalo was doing a Teo on Teo!

So much for nobody paying attention to OTC until decades later!

dizzy gillespie for president

don siegel et al

i withold judgement on the OTC question except to note Lalo Schifrin could do damn near anything &, if we look (listen) closely, in x # of ways, it's Teo & Miles who are playing catch up-- in practice-- with best soundtrack dudes, whose job allowed them great liberties & resources etc.

david soul plays butch in "Magnum Force" too of course, another fine Schifrin score & an excellent action movie, tho' lacking most of Siegel's visual flair & ambiguities.