John McLaughlin: From Miles Davis Protégé to 'Old Punk'

The conversation turned to Davis, whom Mr. McLaughlin joined in 1969 in time for the sessions for "In a Silent Way" in New York. Unaware he'd be playing on the Joe Zawinul composition that served as the title track, Mr. McLaughlin was unprepared. He recalled Davis telling him: "Play it like you don't know how to play the guitar." Later, talking about the 1970 album "Bitches Brew," Mr. McLaughlin said of Davis: "He didn't know what he wanted. He only knew what he didn't want.

"He was like a Zen master," Mr. McLaughlin added. "It was amazing to see. It was like seeing Picasso work. He had this gift. He'd say things to musicians to knock them out of their ordinary state of mind. In this way, he was able to get the best out of all his players."

Full article here:

WSJ

(If the article doesn't open, try Googling the topic title.)

Skeith, don't sweat it. Honestly, I didn't even understand what you posted, and if you have to explain a joke, well, you know...

I assumed you were reading the thread about Crouch's Parker book and how he called Bill Evans a "punk"... stupid of me to assume it.