BFT 121 Discussion

Dan Gould

"15 ‘What did I do to be so black and blue’. So long as a musician can play reasonably well, he can make something wonderful out of this song. And Mrs Armstrong’s lad can play reasonably well; his Okeh recording is wonderful indeed. But It’s not Louis, but someone taking him off very well.

I'm not sure what is more surprising, folks who haven't ID'd Pops or those who think it's someone impersonating him. To me this is one of his most recognizable recordings."

Dan, I think that this is a hazard of these Blindfold Tests--the listener is so attuned to try to figure out what must be esoteric, unusual and not obvious about a song, that when a well known song by a very recognizable stylist is presented, the listener thinks--oh, it just can't be. I find this very interesting.

Edited by Hot Ptah

"15 ‘What did I do to be so black and blue’. So long as a musician can play reasonably well, he can make something wonderful out of this song. And Mrs Armstrong’s lad can play reasonably well; his Okeh recording is wonderful indeed. But It’s not Louis, but someone taking him off very well.

I'm not sure what is more surprising, folks who haven't ID'd Pops or those who think it's someone impersonating him. To me this is one of his most recognizable recordings."

Dan, I think that this is a hazard of these Blindfold Tests--the listener is so attuned to try to figure out what must be esoteric, unusual and not obvious about a song, that when a well known song by a very recognizable stylist is presented, the listener thinks--oh, it just can't be. I find this very interesting.

You're right. When putting one together, I try to avoid people like Horace Silver, Lee Morgan and so on. One doesn't want to make it TOO easy :D

MG