Basic Roku questions

GA Russell

There is an ad in this morning's paper for a "Roku HD streaming Player" for $39.99. It's a refurb.

It says, "Built in Wi-Fi" and "Works with virtually any TV."

I don't have wi-fi service for my internet or my computer. Would this Roku work anyway?

Does anyone here have Roku and recommend it?

Thanks!

First off, there is no "Roku HD" model. There's the Roku streaming stick, Roku 1, Roku 2, and Roku 3. All models have built-in wireless, but you have to have a wireless network to connect it to. The "virtually any TV" label refers to TV compatibility. The stick and Roku 3 only work with HDTVs, while Roku 2 & 3 are compatible with "virtually any TV". i.e., non-HDTVs.

There is an ad in this morning's paper for a "Roku HD streaming Player" for $39.99. It's a refurb.

It says, "Built in Wi-Fi" and "Works with virtually any TV."

I don't have wi-fi service for my internet or my computer. Would this Roku work anyway?

Does anyone here have Roku and recommend it?

Thanks!

The Roku would work just fine, but the only thing you'd be able to do with it would be to stream pictures or music from your smart phone, if you have one. Aside from that without wi-fi you'll have yourself a nice paper weight.

Wi-fi routers are fairly inexpensive these days, though.

HDMI output is only available on Roku 3. Wi-Fi is required for any Roku.

I think you meant "Only HDMI output is available on the Roku 3". HDMI output is also available on the earlier (Roku 2, etc.) models, but those also have composite video outputs as well for analog TVs.

A wi-fi network is preferable but not required for the Roku 3, as it has an Ethernet port, so it's possible to connect it to a router using a standard Cat5 cable.

HDMI output is only available on Roku 3. Wi-Fi is required for any Roku.

I think you meant "Only HDMI output is available on the Roku 3". HDMI output is also available on the earlier (Roku 2, etc.) models, but those also have composite video outputs as well for analog TVs.

A wi-fi network is preferable but not required for the Roku 3, as it has an Ethernet port, so it's possible to connect it to a router using a standard Cat5 cable.

AHA! I had forgotten about the ethernet port! Thanks for the correction, Dave.

• 4 weeks later...

fwiw, we got the 2 last year, and whatever speed issues they're talking about in the CNET article, I don't know. But I do know that the availability of so much stuff for free, new old, common, esoteric, whatever, has made sitting down in front of the TV for a few hours at a time the adventure it used to be in the early days of the cable boom, and less the act of surrender that it's become for, like the last 10 years. The only pain is the stuff that gives you the option of watching commercial-free for 99 cents or for free with ad breaks, well, sometimes they go a little gonzo with the frequency and/or number of the ads. But hell, I a veteran of the days when all you had was broadcast tv, and commercials were inevitable and uncontrollable. I remember how to get up and walk around and do shit during commercials, ok?

But anyway, this Roku thing, if you dig watching tv as a conscious act of engagement, this is a thing you will want to get at some point.