New Pink Floyd album coming out in October?

Guy Berger

I certainly wasn't suggesting Waters should have had anything to do with it, I was referring only to the voice snippets at the beginning of the album, and the lyrics to the one song. It's an unfitting testamonial, imo. Waters is no doubt too busy playing another Wall concert somewhere. :D

Mind you, I think The Final Cut was the best album Floyd ever made..... so you might want to dismiss my words out of hand.

Edited by Ligeti

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So much to respond to here, so forgive me foe what is about to be an absurdly convoluted post:

Love it. Better than most of AMLOR by a mile, and more fun (at least for me) than The Division Bell (which I do like, but has been slow to grow on me, mostly only over the last 5 years).

The Endless River might be my favorite Floyd (or Floyd-related) release since Animals. And a fitting tribute to Rick, RIP.

While I'm a fan of both AMLOR and The Division Bell, I have to agree with what you've said here. This album, for all the bad advanced press it received (and for obvious reasons, I'll admit), may just be right up there with Animals. It is certainly the best post-Waters album, IMO. And the way masters Gilmour and Mason chose to highlight the keyboards does indeed strike me as a most humble and respectful send off. Not to mention that the music simply stomps fucking ass!

I do like some of the material on Momentary Lapse and The Division Bell, but I think The Endless River actually sounds more like Pink Floyd than either of those albums.

Agreed 100%. As I mentioned before, The Division Bell found Gilmour & Co. trying to regain that fire that drove them back in the 70's. They came thisclose, but still something seemed to be missing. All the right sounds were sampled, but the results were almost kinda cheesy in retrospect.

My only issues with it are the opening voice snippets, and the lyrics to the only song. Is this really how they want the whole thing to end?

The opening voice snippets seem a bit forced, I agree. Still trying to catch up with the exceptional voice snippets from Water's Amused to Death album. And the lyric from the final tune were groan-worthy. But, at the end of the day, it is actually an excellent tune. So, we've got that, I suppose.

I'm glad Waters didn't come anywhere near this. Remember, he's the guy that fired Rick Wright from Pink Floyd and then brought him back as a salaried employee for The Wall tour....but did not let him contribute to The Final Cut.

This album is a loving tribute to Rick Wright, if Waters had joined I would have found that distasteful considering how he treated Rick.

Again, agreed. I wish they could have reconciled, but Water's ego just never allowed that to happen. Goddamn, brother! Can you imagine how fucking cool it would have been to see all of them tour together once more, even as far back as 1994?

Mind you, I think The Final Cut was the best album Floyd ever made..... so you might want to dismiss my words out of hand.

IIRC, most of us Floyd fans here are quite respectful of The Final Cut. But, I will tell you this: The Post War Dream through Paranoid Eyes may be the best "side 1" of any album I've ever heard. And that sinister synth line that underscored the second verse of "The Hero's Return" was more Rick Wright than whoever actually played it.

"...and no one kills the children anymore..."

The Final Cut is one of the few albums that truly tugs on my heart strings. My only gripe is the addition of "Tigers Run Free". Content wise, it fits. But to my ears, it's a jarring intrusion I'd rather have done without. Maybe I just like remembering the album the way it was on the day of release. It's certainly my most played Floyd album. Mind you, I'm partial to a little Animals.....

I liked the audio clips on Dark Side of the Moon (and, I guess, on "Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast"). After that, like a lot of other features of PF's music, they became progressively more gimmicky.

I also like The Final Cut - it has very little of what I like in PF's music, but brings other stuff to the table and also avoids most of The Wall's severe shortcomings. As far as AMLoR, I think Rooster nailed it - quite a bit of good stuff (though I think only "Sorrow" really gets close to great), but the 80s production is a downer, and generally it has a feeling of "trying too hard". TDB feels a lot less forced/contrived; just a bunch of middle-aged musicians making music they like. I'm fine with that.

Edited by Guy

The Final Cut is so depressing I don't listen to it very often. Your Possible Pasts is a great tune and there's some killer Gilmour guitar solos on a few tracks (Fletcher Memorial Home, the title track) but I really have to be in a very particular mood for that album.

I love everything from Piper to The Wall (though I tend to skip around on The Wall these days). I don't like any of Roger Waters solo albums, but I enjoy all of Gilmour and Wright's solo albums.

I love everything from Piper to The Wall (though I tend to skip around on The Wall these days). I don't like any of Roger Waters solo albums, but I enjoy all of Gilmour and Wright's solo albums.

One of these days I'll make Scott D happy and listened to Radio KAOS, but Pros & Cons of Hitch-hiking is a serious contender for the worst album I have ever heard.

Huh! Pro's and Con's isn't very friendly, is it? And Radio Kaos.... I have a soft spot for it because I was majorly into it on release - but the concept is excruiciating to the point of actually making you laugh at it, and the production suffers from that 80's sound. Still, some of the songs are good.

However Amused to Death is outstanding. A worthy follow-up to Final Cut. After that all we've had are constant Wall live albums, and a naff opera. :(

One of these days I'll make Scott D happy and listened to Radio KAOS, but Pros & Cons of Hitch-hiking is a serious contender for the worst album I have ever heard.

Huh?

I'm not a fan of Radio KAOS.

Amused To Death is the only Waters solo album I like. And it's the best "post-Floyd" album there is. But I don't care for any of his other solo albums.