New Pink Floyd album coming out in October?

Guy Berger

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David Gilmour is rich beyond measure, this is artistically motivated. From the little bit of leaked information they will be using some material Rick Wright recorded circa 1994 which they will add new parts to. Not sure how much of the album will feature Wright.

David Gilmour is in my top 5 guitarists of all-time, whether it's a solo album or an actual Pink Floyd album really doesn't matter to me as long as he's playing guitar I'm buying it on release day.

David Gilmour is rich beyond measure, this is artistically motivated. From the little bit of leaked information they will be using some material Rick Wright recorded circa 1994 which they will add new parts to. Not sure how much of the album will feature Wright.

David Gilmour is in my top 5 guitarists of all-time, whether it's a solo album or an actual Pink Floyd album really doesn't matter to me as long as he's playing guitar I'm buying it on release day.

I have to agree with all of that.

I really enjoyed both post-Waters albums, even though some loved either one or the other, or hated both and referred to them as David Gilmour solo albums. I thought they both sounded quite Floydian in their own ways.

And as you said, if Gilmour is playing guitar on it, I'm getting it.

I wonder if they'll tour again? I love their live shows. Always a visual and aural feast.

I file both of the Floyd 2.0 studio albums with Gilmore's solo albums...

...but then I would also file The Final Cut and even The Wall with Water's solo work. (So Animals is the last truly Floyd album to be.)

But I enjoyed The Division Bell more than AMLOR, though I didn't even hear The Division Bell until 2004 (practically 10 years after it's release).

Rick Wright's last solo album, Broken China (1996) is quite lovely too.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I think that entire practice is just as silly as those who say their was no real Pink Floyd after Syd left the group.

Shrugs...a string of bands with common personnel. I'm curious about the new album, but I'm not holding my breath.

Shrugs...a string of bands with common personnel. I'm curious about the new album, but I'm not holding my breath.

Yeah, that pretty much describes every band ever created. I guess in some folks minds The Who ceased to exist after Keith Moon died. Or KISS no longer existed when Ace Frehley left. You could make a list a mile long...

Just because one whole member leaves, for whatever reason, that doesn't mean the band no longer exists. That just silly.

Edited by Scott Dolan

Quite a few veterans have produced some really worthwhile records in their dotage after years at sea. Often this has involved reconnecting with their earlier sound rather than trying to update their sound to fit in with current trends. Maybe Gilmour can pull off the same. Like others, I've always loved his guitar style (Atom Heart Mother!!!!).

We'll wait and see but if he can:

a) Come up with some memorable songs;

b) Avoid all that overproduction that is so common on post mid-70s music - turn down the drums, don't fill in all the spaces with synth washes;

...then we might have something.

Calling it Pink Floyd will sell more units and get acres of publicity. But I imagine it will be a Gilmour record.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

The difference between Syd's departure and the current PF is the continuity. THAT was an actively gigging band, this is basically a defunct project that is resurrected at a low frequency - basically, a description of music recorded under the PF name post-1977. That said, the "is it really Pink Floyd" debate is probably among the least interesting metaphysical debates ever; moreover the two Gilmour-led albums have much more stylistic similarity to the classic Floyd sound than The Wall and The Final Cut did.

Amen. I would file both The Wall and The Final Cut with Roger Waters' solo work, far as I'm concerned -- and Roger got exclusive rights to both under the terms of the lawsuit(s) back in 1987, which only makes perfect sense.

Just listened to both AMLOR and The Division Bell in the last 24 hours (for the first time in well over a year), and both of the Floyd 2.0 studio albums aren't quite Pink Floyd either, but they are more so than either The Wall or The Final Cut.

I don't care what anyone calls any of it, that's just how I see it personally.

The "real Pink Floyd" debates are torturous, to put it mildly.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

the Pink Floyd Facebook page just posted this:

"Pink Floyd can confirm that they are releasing a new album "The Endless River" in October 2014. It is an album of mainly ambient and instrumental music based on the 1993/4 Division Bell sessions which feature David Gilmour, Nick Mason and Richard Wright. The album is produced by David Gilmour with Phil Manzanera, Youth and recording engineer Andy Jackson. Work is still in progress, but more details to come at the end of the Summer."

Rick Wright's last solo album, Broken China (1996) is quite lovely too.

BTW, for some reason I forgot to address this earlier, but count me in as another fan of the brilliant Broken China. "Quite lovely" may even be an understatement. Wright may not have been a top shelf musician, but he knew what to play, how to play it, and when.

This has got to be the quintessential "forgotten" or "overlooked" album.

......YAWN.......

You keep posting the same thing. Yawn.

Sorry, but I have to agree with this. C'mon, Head Man. You're better than this. If you don't wish to add anything to the conversation, then why keep clicking on the thread?

I can appreciate your apathy, but is there really a need to restate it?