WSJ: Why Wrigley Is Suddenly So Empty

No, I wasn't referring to Granderson at all. Just commenting on what Gould said about free agency timing.

Gotcha. Though I don't think that Dan was saying get expensive free agents when you've got nothing else but move on very good ones when you're on the upswing but aren't all the way there yet. (I myself, would hesitate there because of the spotty track records of expensive free agent pitchers after they're acquired.) In any case, making such decisions is why guys like Epstein are paid big bucks.

Of course. GM's who rebuild have to find that perfectly confluence in time between when their team is "ready" for that biggest step to be taken.

Many thought Dayton Moore was crazy for pulling the Shields/Myers trade because the Royals were nowhere near ready to contend. Instead, they finished ten games over .500 and were eliminated from the playoffs with less than a week left in the season last year, and are currently one of the hottest teams in MLB and leading the AL Central.

But, had he made that trade a year earlier, with having only two years of Shields, the trade would have likely blown up in his face.

I realize you're referring more to free agancy than trades, but for small market teams like the Royals it's all the same thing.