Lloyd Price - This is My Band

jeffcrom

I've got an interesting album from 1962 or so: Lloyd Price - This is My Band on Price's Double L label. This record has been mentioned here before - at least by the Magnificent Goldberg - but it remains mysterious. Price doesn't sing on it - it's primarily an instrumental showcase for his band, although there is one vocal by Norman Thrasher. No discography I've seen lists the personnel. The liner notes state that Slide Hampton arranged seven of the twelve tracks, and that James Booker is featured on organ on four tracks. Those four tracks are all credited to Booker as composer, and are in the style of "Gonzo" or "Cool Turkey." Most of the other tracks are credited to Price and his manager Harold Lloyd as composer. They're middle-of-the-road bluesy big band stuff. There's nothing profound here, but it's very well-done and enjoyable.

This Price discography lists this personnel for sessions in 1962 and 1963:

Bill Jones [gt], Charles Lindsay [bass], Larry Rice [drums], Charles Brooks [piano], Tommy Purkson, Eddie Preston, Martin Banks [trumpets], Wade Marcus, Sam Hurt [trombones], Charles Reeves [alto sax], James "Red" Holloway, Danny Turner [tenor sax], Numa "Pee Wee" Moore [baritone sax]

Of the pictures on the cover, the only one I've been able to match up is Red Holloway - that's obviously him, second from left. And there are some excellent tenor solos on the record.

Anyone else know this album, or have any insight into it?

$_57.JPG

Edited by jeffcrom

And Eddie Preston, Martin Banks, Wade Marcus, Danny Turner, and Pee Wee Moore...damn.

Are there any trumpet solos? There's not enough Preston or Banks out there.

I'm asking about trumpet solos on a record with Red Holloway on it. Must be the last days of something....

There's one trumpet solo, on the tune "Sweetie," if I remember correctly. It's quite tasty - Banks or Preston or whoever, I don't know, but it's good.

There's one guitar solo and several short piano solos, but (again, if I remember correctly), that's it except for the one trumpet solo, the four Booker organ features, and several tenor solos. There's also flute in the ensemble on the Booker tunes, like on "Gonzo," etc.

Edited by jeffcrom