Jazz Special / Denmark

I recently ordered some Steeplechase discs from Stateside Distributors in Chicago (recommended- you can e-mail Peter Crawford at Stateside@prodigy.net). Along with the CD's, Peter sent me a copy of the Danish magazine "Jazz Special", 2nd international edition, 2003-110 pages, high gloss cover (great b&w photo of Miles by Jan Persson), high quality printing (even the ads are beautiful), and numerous articles (with great photos) on a wide range of jazz and blues artists (Doug Raney, Svend Asmussen, Ben Webster, Bud Powell, Idrees Sulieman, Wild Bill Davison, Sonny Boy Williamson (#2), Caecile Norby, Marylin Mazur, Thomas Clausen, and others; a blindfold test with Chris Minh Doky; a feature on the Storyville label, and much more. Not your average "filler" with a CD order! Has anybody else seen this? I guess they put out a bi-monthly issue for several years prior to these annual international editions. Anyway, the first international edition can be viewed online (you need Acrobat Reader 5), at: Jazz Special #1.

The main website is at: Jazz Special

===========

Edit: BTW, I forgot to check if this has already been discussed, so apologies if it has...

Edited by Jim R

Jim,

I have also enjoyed that publication with my Stateside orders. There was an excellent remembrance of Ben Webster's European years in a prior issue, and other nice articles. I may be wrong, but I wonder if Peter includes the publication hoping to increase orders of the Stunt label which he now carries. If I recall correctly, there's a nice Johnny Griffin CD called with The Great Danes which I never would have been aware of til I saw it in that magazine; I think another one was a Scandinavian piano trio that got Eric Alexander to guest on their disc, another winner in my book.

I see Chuck is here right now, so I bet he'll tell me my book is all wrong. ;):g

...as for their internatioal edition, I think they only issued one (?)

No, there are (at least) two, the 2002 edition (int'l edition #1) which I posted a link to above;

JS_INT_st.jpg

and the 2003 edition which Mr. Crawford sent to me (Miles on the cover). I don't know if there is (or will be) a 2004 edition, but I suspect so.

I had copies of the 2002 and 2003 editions courtesy of a colleague who picked them up at the Midem music festival in Cannes on the French Riviera. Courtesy, no more. The colleague was ORDERED to pick up a copy of the 2004 issue at the Midem earlier this month. But there were no copies for distribution, just a 2004 Calendar. Very neat with a closeup of two hands on its front. Turn out the hands belong to 2003 Jazzpar laureate Andrew Hill...

I have read the two available international editions and whenever I'm in DK (at least once, mostly twice a year), I pick up the regular Danish edition.

I'm not your regular jazz mag reader, but this magazine I like enough to pick up back issues whenever I've missed some (if your Danish is good, they have most of their stuff available through their site).

I love Danish/Scandinavian jazz, and the coverage of that field (of course not only) is excellent.

Cheers!

I have read the two available international editions and whenever I'm in DK (at least once, mostly twice a year), I pick up the regular Danish edition.

I'm not your regular jazz mag reader, but this magazine I like enough to pick up back issues whenever I've missed some (if your Danish is good, they have most of their stuff available through their site).

I love Danish/Scandinavian jazz, and the coverage of that field (of course not only) is excellent.

Cheers!

Theres been a lot happening in Scandinavian jazz during the last few years, initiated by a new generation of musicians that also seem to attract a new young audience.

Noticing you live in Germany - what's happening there? I must admit I still think about Schoof, Mangelsdorff, Schlippenbach etc when I think about jazz in

your country - what about new talent - Germany's population by far surpasses all the Scandinavian countries put togetherand used to have a lively scene?

Hm, I think I'm the wrong guy to ask.

Jazz-wise, I'm more Scandinavian than anything (having lived and travelled there for many years) and the German jazz scene hasn't impressed me very much these last couple of years. I'm sure there is tons of talent out there, I just haven't listened to or seen any (live).

Because I attend just about every Copenhagen Jazz Festival, I could give you a lot more info on recent developments in Scandinavia (especially Denmark).

Anyone else with info on German Jazz?

P.S.: All the shopping I have done lately (in regard to German jazz) are big bands of the 40s and early 50s, and some recordings by people like Horst Jankowski, Peter "Fatman" Herbolzheimer ... and that's about it.

Cheers!