Where was the Cellar Door?

Hardbopjazz

The Cellar Door was in the Georgetown section of DC, as I recall one long block west of Wisconsin Avenue on M Street. It was about three long blocks from the Georgetown University campus.

I saw the lost quintet there twice, I think March of '69 and February of '70, about two weeks before the It's About Time concert in New York. I wish I had gone to the one which was recorded for Live-Evil!

Yes, I imagine it was amazing to see the Lost Quintet there, and would have been something else to be at the Cellar Door that one night of the four when McGlaughlin was there. Though the Sextet material without him is cooking too!

This Cellar Door material is going to make one heckuva set of two cd sets or box set, whatever, when it comes out!

It's my recollection that the Feb '70 concert was a sextet including Keith Jarrett on keyboards as well as Chick Corea. That was the show I spoke briefly to Miles - just exchanged greetings, not a conversation, but still a thrill.

I'm looking forward to the autumn (?) '69 performance double album which will be released later this year, if Sony keeps to its schedule (at least, according to jazzmatazz).

Cliff, I saw Herbie Mann at the Cellar Door three times, in '69 with Steve Marcus, Miroslav Vitous, Roy Ayers, Sonny Sharrock and Bruno Carr, in '70 with the same band minus Marcus, and in '71 with a very young rock band called Air. I remember that the warm up act to the last one was a solo guitarist named Sandy Nassan.

Did you see the group with Ayers/Sharrock/Vitous?