Salute to Bob Cranshaw

Michael Weiss

I wonder what Mr. Cranshaw has been up to since Sonny has been sidelined.  I've been fortunate enough to have seen him three times with Sonny (the last time he was on upright tather than electric), and he's a great bassist.  I remember talk of a session several years ago with Sonny, Cranshaw and Al Foster, and I wish that it would be issued.  Anyway, it's good to see Cranshaw recognized.

Also, I'm sorry to hear about Louis Hayes.  Like Tootie Heath, he's one of those master drummers whose playing is just so damn tasty and yet he seems to fly under the radar a bit. 

wow, Bob Cranshaw really hasn´t changed much during the years.

Great bassist.

I also heard him live only with Sonny Rollins, but I never saw Rollins with an uprite bass. It seems to me he had been through with that from the 70´s on. Like Dizzy, who seldom used an uprite bass from the 70´s on.

With post-modernism the double bass was seen more often, but during my youth it seems it had become out of fashion.

Also sorry bout Louis Hayes. I love his drumming and saw him life on several occasions, even with Diz and Harold Land one time.

But Al Foster is one of my favourite drummers too ! Maybe one the 3 or 4 drummers I like most......

• 3 years later...