Rainey-Laubrock-Halvorson

Deserves it's own thread for sure. Not sure anyone is capable of describing what they do - certainly a trained musicians or even simply an experienced listener like me can try and I will try to give just a little bit of my experience from the other night.

first set starts slow first 15 to 18 minute improvisation has the trio in full warm up mode. Nice playing with Ingrid on tenor finds me wanting to hear something to get my sensors going. Nothing happening despite crisp typical Rainey drumming sticks only but I'm dying just a bit inside thinking this is all it is tonight. Second piece ends or climaxes in a strong tenor-drum duet with some real intensity with the guitar being heard but not yet felt in the way it usually does for me with Mary. They continue with Ingrid on soprano with the guitar finding its place in the music but the intensity falters. They close with a very intense 5 minute jam which has Halvorson guitar at peak level of intensity with Rainey cranking it up like I like it. 

Second set starts at 10:15. By the second piece with Laubrock grabbing the soprano with the tenor still locked in, the trio played as intuitive expressive and maybe most importantly as cliche free and fresh improv as I've heard this past year. Between 10:30 and a bit past 11:00, I'm in musical nirvana. The combined power of the two woman is mind numbing. Mary Halvorson, for me, is the most exciting guitarist alive and I was blessed to be 5 feet away. Ingrid Laubrock IS the real deal. Maybe a visit by some to see this trio in person is the antidote to some sort of misconception. And Tom Rainey leads it, they rock out, almost swing, eschew the norm and create magic.

yes - NO musical descriptions - only how it made me feel - very very grateful to hear  GIANTS who walk this earth up close and personal. 

Would love a technically advanced kinda dude one day describe how they create instant song form and apparently use compositional ideas to improvise like they do but for now I will settle for the idea of just a little genius at work in all three.

Standing on a Whale Fishing for Minnows

They were very good here in november ... and I made a huge gaffe afterwards ... after their set, it was Craig Taborn solo and he really smashed the whole world to pieces and then rebuilt it again ... second stellar piano solo set this year, after Alexander Hawkins' great solo set in spring at the same venue (on a different piano ... methinks Alex got the better one, but it didn't matter, both were rented (baby) grands and probably both in great condition) ... anyway, I had to shake hands and thank Taborn for his amazing performance, and he's there with Rainey/Laubrock sipping on a drink ... so somehone (I honestly don't remember if it was Taborn or Rainey) made a remark about the first set of the evening (the Rainey trio's) ... and dumbfounded (it's not so easy to be smartass in a foreign language and in real time!) I said something like "yours was fine, too" - really made a fool of myself there but didn't really try to make it worse by going on taking nonsense ;)

Anyway, it was a most invigorating set, Halvorson was energized (she isn't always, I've seen her a few times by now and at least once she was tired in a way that is showed ... music was still fine, but different. Anyway, enjoyed her and Laubrock's performance an awful lot, and Rainey was always right behind them, shading and offering support and still hitting it hard without ever being an intruder or being loud or anything - very intense stuff!

Nice write-up Steve.  Sounds like a good way to wrap up the year.  Someday I'd love to hear t he musicians provide their own post-mortem of how they played, how the set went down, etc. I wonder if it would be different, and if so, how much, from that of the audience.