What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

• Replies 21.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 hours ago, soulpope said:

Well we discussed the question of different bus drivers here lately .... nevertheless if you would like toĀ hear the Berg Lieder superbly sung and and both the voice and orchestral parts recorded in fine gradation look no further than :

e2993f217edeceade7929c2f11c10e5ca5fe9813

Thanks. But the last thing I need is another Mahler 4. I think I've got four...and I don't do versions!!!!Ā 

Image result for fantasy castles at night

Love this series - there's so much wonderful music locked in the Janacek operas that works separately.Ā 

Image result for raphael ensemble - martinu, schulhoff: string sextets

Edited by A Lark Ascending

http://c3.cduniverse.ws/resized/250x500/music/071/1524071.jpg

Winds of Change: American Music for Wind Ensemble (New World); Northwestern University Symphonic Wind Ensemble/John Paynter

Persichetti - Pageant
Hale Smith - Expansions
Henry Brant - Verticals Ascending
Ross Lee Finney - Concerto for Alto Saxophone and Orchestra of Wind Instruments (Fred Hemke, saxophone)
Robert Russell Bennett - Symphonic Songs for Band

Ā 

14 hours ago, HutchFan said:

61OfbhVRjhL._SY355_.jpgĀ 

Mahler: Symphony No. 3 / Kubelik, Marjorie Thomas, Bavarian RSO (DG)

The first Mahler record I ever bought back in the 70s (I actually wanted the second but the NAAFI shop didn't have it)...about the third or fourth classical record I ever bought (Mahler was pipped by Sibelius).Ā I still hear Mahler throughĀ those recordings (although I believe some liberties were taken in places with tempos in order to fit movements onto one LP side - to this day when I hear the 6th on the radio the opening movement seems to plod (when in reality Kubelik was doing a Usain Bolt)).Ā 

Image result for korngold between two

Not a million miles away from Mahler. The Symphonic Serenade is utterly gorgeous, Between Two Worlds very Hollywood; Theme and Variations sounds like the soundtrack to one of thoseĀ anthropomorphic wildlife films that Disney used to make.Ā 

Image result for water resources

8 hours ago, A Lark Ascending said:

The first Mahler record I ever bought back in the 70s (I actually wanted the second but the NAAFI shop didn't have it)...about the third or fourth classical record I ever bought (Mahler was pipped by Sibelius).Ā I still hear Mahler throughĀ those recordings (although I believe some liberties were taken in places with tempos in order to fit movements onto one LP side - to this day when I hear the 6th on the radio the opening movement seems to plod (when in reality Kubelik was doing a Usain Bolt)).Ā 

My introduction to Mahler was through Leonard Bernstein -- specifically his Mahler 9 with the Concertgebouw (DG). For many fans, this is "Lenny's Mahler" at itsĀ worst, but it made a convert of me.Ā ;)Ā 

The first Mahler Third that I ever heard was Jascha Horenstein's, andĀ I still enjoy it -- but Kubelik's recording is definitelyĀ my first choice for this symphony. Kubelik's version isn't nearly as monumental or dramatic as Horenstein's, but Kubelik makes the musicĀ flow so beautifully.

People often mention Kubelik's woodsy lyricism, but I think they sometimes overlook the sense of flow and over-arching structure that he brings to Mahler. His readings (often, to me) have a continuity, an "inner line,"Ā that other conductors lack. As a result,Ā Kubelik's interpretations don'tĀ comeĀ off as a series of dramatic butĀ disconnected episodes.Ā 

I'm not a score-reader. This is just my subjective impression as a listener, FWIW.

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

My introduction to Mahler was through Leonard Bernstein -- specifically his Mahler 9 with the Concertgebouw (DG). For many fans, this is "Lenny's Mahler" at itsĀ worst, but it made a convert of me.Ā ;)Ā 

The first Mahler Third that I ever heard was Jascha Horenstein's, andĀ I still enjoy it -- but Kubelik's recording is definitelyĀ my first choice for this symphony. Kubelik's version isn't nearly as monumental or dramatic as Horenstein's, but Kubelik makes the musicĀ flow so beautifully.

People often mention Kubelik's woodsy lyricism, but I think they sometimes overlook the sense of flow and over-arching structure that he brings to Mahler. His readings (often, to me) have a continuity, an "inner line,"Ā that other conductors lack. As a result,Ā Kubelik's interpretations don'tĀ comeĀ off as a series of dramatic butĀ disconnected episodes.Ā 

I'm not a score-reader. This is just my subjective impression as a listener, FWIW.

Your description of Kubelik's approach is just perfect .... btw i admire Kubelik ....

3 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Actually mine too. One Easter Sunday in 1974 (I think the dates are right) I sat and watched a performance of the 2nd on TV in the afternoon - Bernstein at Ely Cathedral. I'm not sure why - I think I had about two classical records at that time but was getting curious. I was intrigued and bored by turns - it seemed VERY long (almost as long as Tales of Topographic Oceans!!!!) but the great choral ending just grabbed me by the throat. As soon as I had some money from a holiday job in the summer I started buying Mahler records - the DG Kubeliks for no other reason than a) I was living in Germany on a military base, the local NAAFI had rubbish pop/rock records and the exchange rate was so bad that pop/rock records in the GermanĀ shops were way too expensive...and I HAD to buy records; b) the NAAFI had stacks of DGs in the classical section at very modest prices. The chance events that create an obsession.Ā Ā 

There wasĀ a terrific series of TV programmes about Mahler by Bernstein about 30 years back. He could really talk and explain about Mahler the composerĀ in a direct and unstuffy manner.Ā 

Image result for allan pettersson: symphonies nos. 8 & 10

No 10. Pettersson brings Nielsen to my mind initially; but bizarrely today I was thinking Bax! I'm sure that is coincidental.Ā 

Ā Image result for thea musgrave - turbulent landscapes - nmc: nmcd153

MI0001084159.jpg

Hooked by this recent arrival - have played it several times in a row last night and will do so again later on.

MI0003199025.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

This one just arrived today - gave it a first spin and enjoyed it a lot ... not sure I've listened to those oboe concertos paying attention before.

81cAoyv%2BGzL._SL500_.jpg

SomethingĀ else I played often in the past days is the Chopin found on this set - that includes the PrĆ©luds, the third Ballade, the first Scherzo, three each of the Nocturnes and Ɖtudes, the Polonaises Op. 26/1 and Op. 53 "Heroic", four Waltzes and 16 Mazurkas ... not exactly my favourite selection of Chopin (that would be Nocturnes, Scherzi, Ballades ... and then the PrĆ©ludes, I think), but some great playing here!