What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

Sergei Rachmaninov – Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini, Op.43
— Philharmonia Orchestra – Walter Süsskind
Karol Szymanowski – Symphonie Concertante, Op.60
– Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra – Alfred Wallenstein (RCA Victor Red Seal Records / Sony Music)
Arthur Rubinstei (piano), CD 41 from:

027.jpg   51ETVnSMGdL._SY300_.jpg

• Replies 21.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not sure that I am qualified to do much more than ponder this music, which is its own kind of kick, the joy of pondering. But I'll be dammed to make any claims to a deep, actual understanding. Too many contexts are purposely fucked with, it's a context unto itself, maybe, but then Olly Wilson and...world's are existing that give the appearance of being created, but nobody discovered America, if you know what I mean, it was already there, so not going to make that mistaken as assumption of presumption again, no

MI0001048080.jpg

lately:

41QHSX5FR5L.jpg

71FGOUBQK8L._SL500_.jpg

71yzGD8uP4L._SL500_.jpg

MI0001086127.jpg

MI0003926997.jpg

MI0001022019.jpg

MI0001116881.jpg

MI0001035035.jpg

MI0001136668.jpg

MI0001036140.jpg

MI0002889590.jpg

MI0002848308.jpg

I was indeed crazy enough to complete my Spányi/CPE Bach holdings in the recent BIS sale @prestoclassical's ... enjoying it an awful lot! 

Other than that, the Prohaska got two spins so far, it's good, of course, but fails to really grab me by the guts.

The Enescu on the other hand is moody and beautiful. Not familiar with the music elsewhere (that is except for the third - there is no second actually, Enescu seems to have said it was in his head, too bad he didn't write it down in time - sonata by Lipati), but I think this is a splendid set, really!

Even more splendid is the Gál - great stuff there, full of twists and jagged surprises, but full of melody just as well. Not familiar with his music yet otherwise, gotta check out more, that's for sure (and in light of 51 discs of Spányi/CPE Bach, I really wish there were several dozen more discs to complete Gál's piano music!)

The Schubert by Orkis is wonderful - he plays a Graf fortepiano on disc one (Impromptus D 899 & D 935) and a copy after a Nannette Streicher piano on disc two - and it's disc two that I find even better, with the folksy piano pieces D 946 and the Moments Musicaux (D 780) as well as D 899/1 played from the original pencil draft, and the original version of D 946/1 to end things. Played like this, Schubert's pieces sound intimate, almost as played in your living room, really. A totally different experience (and maybe one that fits with some of the other stuff depicted above, and the mood that listening to it brought me to).

The Weingartner concerto seems to come after Brahms, and his arrangement/completion of the Schubert symphony that follows is probably a bit too full-bodied for Schubert, but both are nice pieces (and actually remind me that I should revisit Weingartner's Brahms symphonies cycle).

Albéniz by de Larrocha is probably about as good as it gets ... thanks to soulpope for insisting (I already have the EMI Icon box of her's, but just bought a few of her later Decca recordings of Spanish repertoire).

Jacques Boyvin – Premier livre d'orgue: Suite du premier ton
Jean Adam Guilain – Pièces d'orgue pour le Magnificat sur les huit tons differens de l'Eglise: Suite du deuxième ton
Johann Philipp Krieger – Passacaglia for Organ in D minor
Johann Kaspar Kerll – Canzona for Organ in E minor
Carl Luython – Fuga suavissima for Organ
Johann Jacob Froberger – Libro secondo di toccate: Toccata No.5 in D minor "Da sonarsi alla Levatione", Capriccio No.2 in A minor, Libro secondo di toccate: Canzona No.6 in A minor FbWV 306
Lambert Chaumont – Suite du deuxième ton for Organ
Abraham Van Kerckhoven – Fantasia for Organ in D minor, Fantasia for Organ in F major
Gustav Leonhardt (organ) – Organ Music in France and Southern Netherlands (Vivarte / Sony Classical), CD 41 from the Vivarte box

511IGxd604L.jpg

Mauro Giuliani – Concerto for Guitar and Strings No.1 in A Op.30
Antonio Vivaldi – Concerto for Guitar in D major, Concerto for Guitar in A major
John Williams (guitar, conductor), Colin Tilney (harpsichord) – English Chamber Orchestra (Columbia / Sony Classical)

R-3885371-1429799148-9391.jpeg.jpg   0888430929425.jpg

1 hour ago, A Lark Ascending said:

cd-brahms-takacs-2.jpg

A second listen. I've never given the Brahms chamber music enough attention despite having several of the Hyperion discs. Intend to try and get to know it a bit better over the next few months. Seems ideal for autumn.  

Believe this is one of the worth hearing renditions of the Brahms Q's .... you may be right this being music suited better for the darker seasons though ....