What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

• Replies 21.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

57 minutes ago, Alexander Hawkins said:

Yes!!! And no particular reason to stop with the Eurodisc box set at the moment, so listening again to the Chopin Scherzi!

These Eurodisc recordings are certainly jewels in the crown of Sviatoslav Richter`s euvre - and knowing the depth and quality of his recording legacy this says a lot .....

17 hours ago, Alexander Hawkins said:

Earlier:

MI0001024817.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Now:

MI0001142648.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

They’re relatively new to me, but I enjoy them quite a bit. In some senses, his Bach reminds me of Argerich - totally inauthentic in ways, but played with such clarity of purpose that it just ‘works’ nonetheless. I love how ‘no nonsense’ it feels. (And the slow movement of the Italian Concerto really is beautiful!).

The Scarlatti is great imho...I’m definitely of the school of thought that there are almost countless ways of playing these things - I’m also a big fan of eg the Pogorelič Scarlatti record...

I think in both cases (Bach/Scarlatti) one thing I find interesting in Weissenberg’s approach is the way he marries romanticism with total clarity.

1 hour ago, Alexander Hawkins said:

They’re relatively new to me, but I enjoy them quite a bit. In some senses, his Bach reminds me of Argerich - totally inauthentic in ways, but played with such clarity of purpose that it just ‘works’ nonetheless. I love how ‘no nonsense’ it feels. (And the slow movement of the Italian Concerto really is beautiful!).

The Scarlatti is great imho...I’m definitely of the school of thought that there are almost countless ways of playing these things - I’m also a big fan of eg the Pogorelič Scarlatti record...

I think in both cases (Bach/Scarlatti) one thing I find interesting in Weissenberg’s approach is the way he marries romanticism with total clarity.

Thnx for sharing your thoughts .... these recording  left me a bit on the fence, as his earlier benchmark Bach recordings inherited - though dazzlingly analytical - more warmth and the Scarlatti in parts missing playfulness the mentioned performances of Ivo Pogorelich do capture .... but as you said, there are many ways to interpret these compositions ....

1 hour ago, Alexander Hawkins said:

Not following this thread regularly these days ... but so glad to hear you enjoy Weissenberg! My entrance point was the EMI Icon box (which bears the utterly stoopid subtitle "The Champagne Pianist"), which is full of good stuff. I can very much relate to how you describe the Scarlatti, and I found it unexpectedly good (I was on the fence about buying this DG set for a long while, but I've been glad to have it for quite a while now! Of the three easy-to-obtain sets, I think I still prefer the ICON over the others (RCA and DG), but they're all worthwhile for sure.

Speaking of Scarlatti, do you happen to have the big Aldo Ciccolini box @Alexander Hawkins? Not much Scarlatti in there, but the few sonatas I enjoyed a lot. Same in fact for Marcelle Meyer, who is a great champion of French repertoire, but some of the other stuff in the box containing her recordings (EMI, 17 discs - by now there's a rip-off on Documents/Membran) was surprisingly good I found - Scarlatti, and also some of the (limited) German repertoire (there's some Mozart I think, haven't played any from that box for quite a while).

MI0003936559.jpg

And myself, after chatting with @Alexander Hawkins a few months ago, I decided to check out Martha Argerich some more ... and indeed, even if some of that I hear is not exactly how I'd envision it or how I prefer to hear it from experience with other recordings, I'm quite stunned again and again! Played some Chopin first, including the 24 (plus 2) Préludes and the third sonata, and now the disc below.

MI0000959646.jpg