What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

• Replies 21.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, soulpope said:

What do you think about Bronfman's Prokofiev .... ?

It's a very different approach than, say, Lazar Berman's or Richter's.  Bronfman is more ruminative and inward, less "motor," less flash.  I think his approach works best with the early sonatas.

Maybe not a ringing endorsement.  But I've enjoyed the disc; it's the only Prokofiev/Bronfman recording I've heard.

Edited by HutchFan

12 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

It's a very different approach than, say, Lazar Berman's or Richter's.  Much more ruminative and inward, less "motor," less flash.  I think Bronfman's approach works best with the early sonatas.

Maybe not a ringing endorsement.  But I've enjoyed the disc; it's the only Prokofiev/Bronfman recording I've heard.

Thnx .... saw Bronfman live with the three "War Sonatas" and was not overly impressed ....

Just now, soulpope said:

Thnx .... saw Bronfman live with the three "War Sonatas" and was not overly impressed ....

I can see how Bronfman might not work so well with "hard surface," modernistic Prokofiev.

Perhaps these works are more suited to overtly-virtuosic pianists -- L. Berman, Richter, Melnikov . . .

Just now, HutchFan said:

I can see how Bronfman might not work so well with "hard surface," modernistic Prokofiev.

Perhaps these works are more suited to overtly-virtuosic pianists -- L. Berman, Richter, Melnikov . . .

Saw Melnikov with the same sonatas which was impressive indeed ....

1 minute ago, soulpope said:

At least a coldblooded Richter ....

To my ears, Richter can sometimes sound (a little!) cold and hard.

[Ducks for cover. ;)]

Admittedly, this is coming from a listener who loves RubinsteinVásáryFrançois, Collard -- guys who make their bones at the "gentler" end of the spectrum.

Just now, HutchFan said:

To my ears, Richter can sometimes sound (a little!) cold and hard.

[Ducks for cover. ;)]

Admittedly, this is coming from a listener who loves RubinsteinVásáryFrançois, Collard -- guys who make their bones at the "gentler" end of the spectrum.

You`re probably right about the early Richter (and the often harsh recording technology also contributed to this impression ....) .... Melnikov always seems have a clear plan and exercises control painstakingly (btw love his Shostakovich Preludes and Fugues, which I was lucky enough to witness in concert) ....

37 minutes ago, soulpope said:

You`re probably right about the early Richter (and the often harsh recording technology also contributed to this impression ....) ....

Oh, I wouldn't go so far as to say that I'm "right"!  It's just my impression, based on the recordings I've heard. 

. . . Now you've got me thinking about Richter!  Maybe I'm missing the boat.  ;)  

I'm curious . . . What are some of your favorite Richter recordings? 

If I were to choose one, it would likely be this:

R-7092304-1494464743-7525.jpeg.jpg

(MHS, licensed from Melodiya, 1972)

Everything comes together perfectly here.