What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

• Replies 21.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Martinon's Debussy goes to my desert island.

51090g8McSL._SY550_.jpg

Discs 1 & 2

55 minutes ago, Referentzhunter said:

I don't know what to think of this set. Not one of my favorites

4786348.jpg

Ashkenazy sometimes gets criticized for bland, right-down-the-middle interpretations -- and not just with Rach. Sometimes I can hear that, sometimes not at all!  . . . I happen to love Ashkenazy's recordings of Rach's Preludes, Op. 23 and Op. 32.  But I've not heard much else of his Rach solo-piano recs.

I have Ashkenazy's Rach PCs with Previn & the LSO -- I think they're OK, but not among my favorites. (I've never heard the Ashkenazy's PCs with Haitink & the RCOA that are in the this set.) Actually, my favorite Ashkenazy Rachmaninov PC recording is the 3rd with Ormandy, originally released on RCA in the mid-70s:

R-9728630-1485440273-9857.jpeg.jpg

Edited by HutchFan

12 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Ashkenazy sometimes gets criticized for bland, right-down-the-middle interpretations -- and not just with Rach. Sometimes I can hear that, sometimes not at all!  . . . I happen to love Ashkenazy's recordings of Rach's Preludes, Op. 23 and Op. 32.  But I've not heard much else of his Rach solo-piano recs.

I have Ashkenazy's Rach PCs with Previn & the LSO -- I think they're OK, but not among my favorites. (I've never heard the Ashkenazy's PCs with Haitink & the RCOA that are in the this set.) Actually, my favorite Ashkenazy Rachmaninov PC recording is the 3rd with Ormandy, originally released on RCA in the mid-70s:

R-9728630-1485440273-9857.jpeg.jpg

Maybe Rachmaninov's solo pianworks lacks something i search in music. It is about energy and fire but i wished it would contain more Romanticism. Those Preludes are beautifull indeed as are some parts of his pianoconcertos and some other pieces have their moments to. Never heard that Ormandy version but i am a fan.

Bye the way. Ordered this set by martinon for only 17 euro. I am a Debussy fan and it contains works i don't have in my collection. I like Ravel also.

0825646379293_p0_v1_s1200x630.jpg

Edited by Referentzhunter

Now listening to a new-to-me CD that arrived a few days ago, BERLIOZ's Requiem as performed by Leonard Bernstein, Stuart Burrows (tenor), Orchestre Philharmonique et Choeurs de Radio France & the Orchestre National de France:

MI0000982926.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Bernstein's interpretation of this music has the overwhelming force of a tidal wave sweeping away all before it. It's SCARY. And I mean that in the best possible sense.

Turn it up to ELEVEN and be transported!!!