What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

• Replies 21.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

Unknown.jpeg

Bruno Walter's version of Brahms' Second Symphony -- from this same cycle -- was one of the key recordings that drew me into classical music.

I LOVE Walter's way with Brahms -- and his conducting in general! :tup  No one gets at that Gemütlichkeit feeling like Walter. :) 

Edited by HutchFan

Rudolf Straube 
– 3 Sonatas for Guitar and Basso Continuo: No.1 in C major
– 3 Sonatas for Guitar and Basso Continuo: No.2 in C major
– 3 Sonatas for Guitar and Basso Continuo: No.3 in F major
— John Williams (guitar), Rafael Puyana (harpsichord), Jordi Saval (viola da gamba) (Columbia Masterworks / Sony Classical)

Manuel Ponce – Prelude (1925) for guitar
Stephen Dodgson – Duo Concertante
— John Williams (guitar), Rafael Puyana (harpsichord) (Columbia Masterworks / Sony Classical), CD 12:

ImgW.ashx?fd=f3&cd=AA250523   0888430929425.jpg

Image result for Henri Dutilleux

Bought this along with the other two discs in the series as part of a recent repackaging (i.e. a cardboard sleeve put round the three!....cheaper though!). Absolutely spectacular recordings in terms of sound - in a previous age they'd be used to demonstrate hi-fi. Music I've heard before but listening over the last few days these pieces really grabbed me. Perfumed modernism - alongside the post-war music you'd expect to be reminded of, Ravel, Debussy, Stravinsky, Symanowski all come to mind. With a good push these could gain a foot in the concert hall (I'm sure they appear in London but I don't recall any regional appearances this way) - they might not have the big tunes of the warhorses that return again and again but the orchestral colours and timbres are really arresting.

Looking at Seattle Symphony's other discs they seem to be pretty adventurous with their releases. Hope they do more with the lesser known American repertoire of the last century - under Schwarz they were champions of some of those pieces. Their recent Mahler 10 (with a different conductor) has had some very good reviews in the British music press. If I needed another Mahler 10 I'd be tempted.

R-2808897-1337954514-9571.jpeg.jpg

The first. 

R-3376184-1327950085.jpeg.jpg

No 6. One of the most peculiar symphonies by a 'mainstream' composer. Every movement seems in a state of disintegration with some very odd interjections. A bit like Shostakovich at his most sardonic though Shosty never sustained the instability throughout a whole symphony. One I've always struggled with but it's starting to intrigue me.

Image result for Boulez box DGImage result for rameau harpsichord

Disc 3 off first: Structures, Livre 1; Le Soleil des eaux; Le Marteau sans Maître

Disc 1 off second. 

The following morning:

Image result for Eisler brilliantImage result for Schreker Tanz

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Now playing:
Johannes Brahms
– Sonata for Violin and Piano No.2 in A major Op.100
– Sonata for Violin and Piano No.3 in D minor Op.108
Henryk Szeryng (violin), Arthur Rubinstein (piano) (RCA Victor Red Seal / Living Stereo – Sony Music)

063.jpg   51ETVnSMGdL._SY300_.jpg

Edited by alankin

Now playing CD 1 - The Early Recordings 1941:
Maurice Ravel – La Valse - poème chorégraphique pour orchestre
Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov – Le Coq d'Or: Cortège de noces (The Golden Cockerel: Wedding Procession)
Vincent d'Indy – Symphonie pour orchestre at piano sur un chant montagnard Op.25 — Maxim Shapiro (piano)
Cesar Franck – Symphony in D minor
— San Francisco Symphony Orchestra – Pierre Monteux (RCA Victor Red Seal Records / Sony Classical)

762.jpg   A10301A0003232439Y.jpg

Edited by alankin