What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

• Replies 21.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

41 minutes ago, mjzee said:

I have these on this:

81UOHl-9V9L._SS500_.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=4

Yep.  That's a terrific set.

3 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

I have many recordings of the Beethoven Violin Concerto.

Here are a few favorites:

Francescatti/ Walter

Oistrakh / Cluytens

Milstein / Steinberg

I've never heard Francescatti with Walter.  I need to investigate that one too.  I bet I'd enjoy it because I love the Francescatti / Walter recording of Brahms Double Concerto with Fournier.  

Now streaming Ida Haendel's recording of LvB's VC, prompted by the recommendation from @soulpope:) 

ab67616d0000b273e3bb99ab80963901d20215f5

Edited by HutchFan

1 minute ago, soulpope said:

Let me/us know about your impressions ....

I'm only halfway through the first movement, but it's easy to understand why you regard this performance so highly.  The first word that comes to mind to describe it is impassioned.  

Thank you for the heads up.  :tup 

4 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I'm only halfway through the first movement, but it's easy to understand why you regard this performance so highly.  The first word that comes to mind to describe it is impassioned.  

Thank you for the heads up.  :tup 

Really glad you like it .... for me a performance where the artist simply gives it all ....

52 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Really glad you like it .... for me a performance where the artist simply gives it all ....

Having listened to it all the way through. . . I think there's commanding, magisterial quality in Haendel's performance that's very, very powerful.  (At times, her interpretation of the work reminded me of Heifetz's.  That said, I'm not a fan of Heifetz's tone.  I definitely prefer the sound that Haendel makes with her violin.)  . . .  It's a stunner.  I've added the CD to my "to get" list.  ;)  Thanks again.

I'm now streaming another recording of LvB's Violin Concerto, one of @Peter Friedman's recommendations:

A different sound-world compared to Haendel & Ancerl.   

I suppose Francescatti & Grumiaux both come out of the Franco-Belgian school of violinists.  More suave and lyrical.  Less drama and fire.

Vive la différence. :)