What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

• Replies 21.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

NzUtODIyOS5qcGVn.jpeg

Eugene Ormandy Conducts 20th Century Classics (Sony)
Disc 12:
- George Gershwin: Rhapsody in Blue
- Aaron Copland: Appalachian Spring
- Charles Ives: Orchestral Set No. 1, Three Places in New England 
- Samuel Barber: Adagio for Strings, Op. 11

Ormandy's recording of Three Places in New England blew my mind when I first heard it.  It was my gateway into the musical world of Charles Ives.  :) 

Edited by HutchFan

3 hours ago, HutchFan said:

More from this set:

NzUtODIyOS5qcGVn.jpeg

Disc 4:
- Rachmaninov: Piano Concerto No. 3 - with Vladimir Ashkenazy
- Rachmaninov: Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini - with Van Cliburn
- Khachaturian: Dances

Rachmaninov and the Philadelphia Orchestra go together like cookies & milk.  A perfect pairing.

What's your opinion of Ormandy (in general)?

Ny0zNzMxLmpwZWc.jpeg

The Decca Sound - The Piano Edition, disc 36.  Also includes Thirty-two Variations from this:

OC05NzgxLmpwZWc.jpeg

9 hours ago, mjzee said:

What's your opinion of Ormandy (in general)?

Generally speaking, I think he was an outstanding conductor -- and I love the sound of the Philadelphia Orchestra.  It's so plush and velvety, almost voluptuous. 

I think Ormandy was especially good at Russian repertoire: Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninov, Prokofiev, Shostakovich.  His Sibelius is also outstanding.  

His interpretations are (usually) not the ultimate in terms of architecture or rhythm.  Like Stokowski, who preceded him in Philadelphia, Ormandy is much more interested in color and texture.  So I guess you could say that Ormandy was very good at some things, and not so good at other things.  But the good stuff is so good that I find myself returning to it often.

That's my take.  :)   

13 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Generally speaking, I think he was an outstanding conductor -- and I love the sound of the Philadelphia Orchestra.  It's so plush and velvety, almost voluptuous. 

I think Ormandy was especially good at Russian repertoire: Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninov, Prokofiev, Shostakovich.  His Sibelius is also outstanding.  

His interpretations are (usually) not the ultimate in terms of architecture or rhythm.  Like Stokowski, who preceded him in Philadelphia, Ormandy is much more interested in color and texture.  So I guess you could say that Ormandy was very good at some things, and not so good at other things.  But the good stuff is so good that I find myself returning to it often.

That's my take.  :)   

Thanks.  I've been eyeing the Ormandy mono box for some time.  I don't know if I need yet more versions of these symphonies, but it's gotten very good reviews, and will soon be unavailable.

917l7RmHo%2BL._AC_SX679_.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&

Kurt Masur - The Complete Warner Classics Edition, disc 26.

6 hours ago, Referentzhunter said:

What is it why i don't like Bernstein's Mahler unlike quite a few other Mahler enthusiasts ?!

It is not that i haven't tried ... it is what it is i guess.

Years ago, I was an active member of the Mahler Forum.  There have always been quite a few Mahler fans who are NOT fans of Lenny's way with Mahler.  They felt that his interpretations were exaggerated to the point of excess . . . going far past the what Mahler put down in the scores.   These critics also feel like Bernstein focused on moments to the detriment of the longer-line, the architecture.  Personally, I can understand these criticisms, and I think they're valid as such. 

So you're far from alone, @Referentzhunter.

All that said, I still enjoy Bernstein's Mahler.  Very much.  In fact, my gateway into the world of Mahler was Bernstein's recording of Mahler's Ninth with the Concertgebouw Orchestra (DG).  This is one of Bernstein's MOST exaggerated Mahler performances.  People tend to HATE it or LOVE it.  Obviously, I fall into the latter camp.  But I have no difficulty understanding why some listeners would find it distorted or distasteful.  

By way of contrast: Many, many people swear by Otto Klemperer's Mahler recordings.  I've never been able to find anything in them. To me, they seem earthbound and cold.  But this is one of the most enjoyable aspects of classical music.  You've got to discover which conductors/interpreters take YOU on a chariot ride to heaven -- because we all respond differently.

9 hours ago, Referentzhunter said:

I am really digging the Nuttcracker but i am not a fan of the Swan Lake (also a classic recording from Rohzdestvensky). What about you ... ?

I love Swan Lake too.

I'm not familiar with the Rozhdestvensky recording.  My preferred versions are Stokowski (Decca) or Karajan (DG).

Edited by HutchFan