L A and the 'great American streetcar scandal'

Crazy, isn't it? The greatest (not my choice of words ;)) country of the world is run by corporations ... not that this is news (or very much different in other parts of the western world) - but this is really one crazy ass story! First read about it in Ted Gioia's great book on "West Coast Jazz".

The current public transit system in Los Angeles has been serving me well for the past 3 years, I no longer own a car.  The light rail and subway lines are expanding.  The Expo line extension opens May 20th which will allow people to travel the 18 miles between downtown to the beach in Santa Monica, this is the first train service to the west side of Los Angeles in 50 years (since the Red Car was shelved).  The Gold line extension opened last month, the Purple Line is currently being expanded under Wilshire Blvd to Beverly Hills and a brand new line is opening on Crenshaw Blvd into South Los Angeles.