Cecil Taylor Big Band at The Irridium

JSngry

From ejazznews.com.

Cecil Taylor Big Band 75th Birthday Celebration At The Iridium Jazz Club March 23-28

Taylor Ho Bynum (trumpet) Stephen Haynes (trumpet) Amir El Saffar (trumpet), Jeff Hoyer (trombone) Steve Swell (trombone), Bill Lowe (bass trombone/tuba) Marshal Allen (alto sax), Bobby Zankel (alto sax) Sabir mateen (tenor sax) Elliot levin (tenor sax), Will Connell (alto sax, bass clarinet, flute) J. D. Parran (bass sax), Dominic Duval (bass) Jackson Krall (drums)

Cecil Taylor (March 15, 1929) is an indomitable musical spirit. One of the true originals of American music; a towering giant who sits atop the Mt. Rushmore of modern jazz giants - Bird, Trane, Miles, Ornette and Cecil. His contributions to the canon of improvised music cannot be disputed as has been documented on numerous recordings that have included collaborations with John Coltrane, Steve Lacy and Max Roach. His influence in free jazz circles has been absorbed in Europe too, where he has performed and recorded with some of the most important free jazz players on the Continent.

His ferocious playing is so trail-blazing that it made more of an effect on the whole concept of rhythm than all but a few drummers. His blending of jazz and modern classical sensibilities set both traditions on their ear and were never the same since then. Along with Ornette Coleman and John Coltrane, Taylor helped to usher in a turning point in the history of the music. Avant and free jazz would be unthinkable without his innovations and it's a testament to his work that it is still part of the mainstream with many performers today.

Now celebrating 50 years as a recording artist, Taylor also celebrates his 75th birthday with his BIG BAND at Iridium this week! Not content to rest on his much deserved laurels, Taylor practices piano constantly and always regales crowds with new pieces. He is a one-man multi-media presentation as he sings, chants, reads poetry, dances and plays the piano with phenomenal power, speed and intensity.

Anybody who catches this, please weigh in!

this saturday night at sista's place, by coincidence:

Ahmed Abdullah's Diaspora (Dispersions of the Spirit of Ra) featuring

Ahmed Abdullah - trumpet & vocals

Billy Bang - violin

Miles Griffith - vocals

Craig Harris- trombon

Alex Harding - baritone saxophone

Cody Moffett-drums

Masujaa-guitar

Monique Ngozi Nri - vocals/poetry

Radu-bass

Louis Reyes Rivera- poetry

Salim Washington-tenor saxophone

Sista's Place - 456 Nostrand Avenue in Brooklyn at 9 & 10:30, call for reservations (718) 398-1766!

clem

I've wanted to go to Sista's a time or two when in Manhattan, but I sure don't know how to get there, or anything about Brooklyn.

naw, ** i'm ** historic south brooklyn; bed-stuy is central brooklyn; dmitry, were he here, is in geographic south brooklyn... it (sorta) makes sense after a while.

clem

I think of "historic" South Brooklyn as Carroll Gardens, Gowanus, Red Hook, maybe Sunset Park. I'm in Park Slope, and I grew up in Midwood.

I think when the term South Brooklyn was coined what is now geographical south Brooklyn was a bunch of farms and independent villages.

75 years. Wow.....

Reminds me, I was on tour in 1997 playing East Coast shows. My first time in NYC. I'm from Kansas City (originally). We never had the chance to see dudes like this back home.

Anyways, I checked the Voice to see if anything was going on and was lucky enough to catch Cecil at the Vanguard. One hour. One song. And it was bananas from the word "go". I had never spent that much on a show before but it was worth every penny. A great experience.

• 4 weeks later...

I was there last night.Cecil,is still playing with lots of energy,and the band played great.The set consisted of one long piece with lots of variation and color throughout,including some rather melodic moments.All of the solos were great,but special mention must be given to Sabier Mateen,for an incredible tenor solo.The set ended with three flutes which produced a sharp contract to the intense energy preceeding it.

Because of the size of the stage two of the trumpet players were partly blocking my view of cecil's hands on the keys,and at certain times the piano was lost among the horns...still it was great.I had a brief chance to meet Cecil after the set,together with the great Tony Oxley who attended the gig.

And this week, Art Ensemble!

I've been fortunate to be able to schedule flights through JFK each of the past two weeks as I shift continents (for work). It's an expensive quick trip to Midtown, especially since I have to leave before the second set...and without seeing ANYTHING else in town, but...

• 2 weeks later...