Frank Wess "Wess To Memphis"

Hardbopjazz

I picked up this LP at a local record shop. It is in its original album sleeve, but it doesn't list the musicians on the session. I've looked online and couldn't fine that information. Anyone have this LP and know who is on this session? The only name mentioned on the back on the LP is Eli Fountain on Alto Sax.

From Bruynynckx:

-Wess to Memphis- : Frank Wess (fl) Eli Fountain (as) + unknown others

Sheffield, Alabama, c. 1970

Under hog Enterprise ENS-5001

Ooh child -

Signed, sealed, delivered, I'm yours -

Cubano chant -

Willow weep for me -

Fool on the hill -

Catchy -

Wessward ho -

Note : Entire session on Polydor/Stax 2362011 

It was Stax. Enterprise was a subsidiary of Stax and they were killing it with Isaac Hayes records. Writeoff, investing, whatever. Chico Hamilton cut a side for them too, with Little Fear as his band. That record gave band credits.

Consider also the possibility that Wess was playing over tracks, the band not being relevant to selling the product.For records like this, the real "story" is in the production credits, what was the business dynamic that put Frank Wess on the same label as Shaft?

My hunch is that after Herbie Mann's big successes with Memphis/Muscle Shoals players, somebody who knew Frank Wess and Stax both figured hey, why not? If this was not the record that said because, this, the next one, Flute Of The Loom (?) was. I mean, Frank Wess,  consummate musician no matter what, and apparently a good businessman, but Herbie Mann needed to make Herbie Mann records, not Frank Wess.

• 1 month later...

I have that Chico Hamilton lp The Master.  I've been a fan of Little Feat since the 70s so it was a natural fit for me.  Ot seemed like a bizarre meeting to me.  I like the album.  In fact I had to put it on post haste when I saw the mention,. It helped the guys get their jazz thing going which they were rightly accused of in the Feat much to Lowell's chagrin may he R.I.P.  Interestingly Lowell plays on Chico's album.  

Edited by six string