"Of Greed, Incompetence and Free Jazz"

rostasi

{A note from Leo Records in their latest press release}

"Some 30 years ago in the age of vinyl I released an LP by the Romanian musician Harry Tavitian. Romania was a totalitarian state run by the dictator Nicolae Ceausescu, the collapse of the Berlin Wall was four years away. A friend took the courage and smuggled out the tape by the Romanian musician Harry Tavitian. Inside the box there was a letter from Harry asking Leo Records to publish the tape. Harry Tavitian fully understood that if Ceausescu's secret agents find out about it the consequences would be severe. Since Harry lived behind the Iron Curtain it was impossible to speak to him directly. Although the release of the LP in the West by the obscure Romanian Quartet promised me nothing but financial losses I decided to release it. Five years later the world switched from LPs to CDs, Romanian dictator was dead, five hundred copies of Tavitian's LP were gone and the whole thing forgotten.

Little did I know. Last week, thirty odd years after the release of the LP, I received a letter from the law firm in Romania stating that they represent the interests of somebody called Catalin Frusinescu who used to be a member of  Harry Tavitian's quartet. It transpired that along with three other musicians Catalin Frusinescu was the composer of one short song under four minutes long. It was his only contribution to the LP as a composer. The letter stated that since 1985 until the present day Leo Records was selling this LP without the prior consent of Mr. Frusinescu. The Romanian lawyer wanted to see the written agreement between his client and Leo Records. HOLY SHIT!

Needless to say, the letter raises a lot of legal, moral and ethical questions. I wonder what you think about it. Write to us to: leorecords@blueyonder.co.uk "

Edited by rostasi