band videos

I use Sony Vegas 13 to edit the videos. I believe Sony sold the software to another company and they are up to version 14 now, but I am still using 13 because it works.

Essentially, I use four cheap Go-Pro knockoff cameras (SJCAM SJ4000) positioned around the stage. I also multi-track record the audio separately using a Macbook and Presonus interfaces to capture the audio. I then dump all those files to my computer and mix the audio first in Cubase. Then I export the finished mixes and start the video editing.

To edit the video, I first line up the files from the four cameras in Vegas by hand. I start one song at a time since without timecode the video files drift away from each over the course of 10 minutes or so. So it's not possible to just line them up once and let them fly. I use the onboard camera audio to line them up.

Once the four videos are lined up, I line up the mixed, multi-tracked audio to them. Then I make adjustments, since usually the video looks better if the mixed audio (and the camera audio for that matter) is shifted just a hair backwards from the video.

And then I go into multi-camera mode in Vegas and switch between cameras with the number pad. That's the main reason I use Vegas; you can switch between up to four cameras and it automatically makes cuts, mutes the non-used clips, etc. It's fairly easy.

I think Adobe Premiere has a similar feature.

• 1 month later...

Thanks Jim. I checked out a few options and settled on Adobe Premiere. It not only makes the multi-camera editing super easy, it automatically syncs my camera videos (3 Zoom QA2 cameras) using the audio tracks from the Zoom units, which I just previewed at NAMM 2017 and immediately ordered when I got home. 

I shoot videos every few weeks at my regular gig and I'm working on the technical challenges of managing camera operation and placement while performing and running the gig  

My next addition is going to be a set of XPk-200L pedals. 

That's a cool feature in Premiere! I used Premiere for years back in the early 2000's and downloaded the latest trial version in 2013 when I was making a DVD of the Dirty Fingers album. But I couldn't even figure out how to get video on the timeline! They had changed it so much and it was utterly confusing to me. So I just went with Vegas. Might be time to re-assess.

The XPK-200L are nice but take some adjustment if you're used to playing full-sized Hammond pedals.

So, advice needed. I haven't played a Hammond for 30 years after traveling with one on the road for 20 years before that. 

I just purchased an SK-2 last year and now am ready for pedals, but really didn't want to lug a big set around. Bottom line, it's been a long time since I kicked pedals. My left hand bass is back in good shape, however. It sounds like the small ones will be OK since I'm getting reacquainted anyway? Thoughts?