CD Baby finds

scottb

[shameless plug] 

Gotta keep those units moving!

cdbaby.com/cd/mweiss

I'm glad that you raised this to the surface because it led me to your website and the clip from the trio cd --- one that I'll soon be ordering from Amazon or CD Universe. If you don't mind me asking, why is there only one clip ('Wave') available for screening as opposed to the five you offer from the new one? I can't speak for others, but 95% of the time, I'm inclined to make a move on a cd that I can preview. Sadly, the CD Universe & Amazon sites don't have a single clip from the trio cd......and there's a good chance that I'd have bypassed it. I've never understood why some of these music sites offer clips for certain titles and not others? How is that negotiated? Can someone explain this to me?

Edited by Son-of-a-Weizen

I'll never see another dime from SteepleChase, so I'm not as interested in promoting that recording as my last one, which was self-produced. While I'm not displeased with Milestones, it doesn't have any original compositions of mine and was produced on a shoestring, while Soul Journey's contents are all originals and was made using the finest ingredients (studio, engineer, mastering - not to mention personnel). On my CDBaby page all nine tracks have mp3 samples. I don't know why Amazon doesn't have any samples of Milestones.

Edited by Michael Weiss

I was fortunate to see Michael perform these originals at a concert at the Brooklyn Conservatory of Music in the fall of 2003 with personnel that differed somewhat, i.e., Adam Kolker and Jim Snidero in place of the Steves (Wilson & Davis). Terrific concert! Bought the CD there and highly recommend it. :tup

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I picked these up through CDBaby's $5.00 sale. (They're $5.00 *if* you buy at least 3.)

maffyfalayq.jpg

Maffy Falay Quintet-This one was a home run for me! Excellent! [tpt/flgl, ts, p, b, d] I don't know whether you consider this a good thing or not, but you could play this among any of your favorite Blue Notes and it would fit right in if not outright pass for a Blue Note as well. Recommended, no reservations.

mauricebrown.jpg

Maurice Brown-This guy is pretty interesting and this is a first rate production. [tpt, ts, p, b, d, perc] He's a very skilled trumpeter and has a repertoire that ranges from straight ahead and melodic to the more out and challenging. After only one listen I like this one and I think it's only going to grow on me more after repeated listens. I'm interested enough to want to check out his future releases. Since he plays in a variety of styles (to his credit in my opinion) it will be interesting to see if he chooses a specific identity or remains loose and versatile. Check him out!

eastwest.jpg

East West Quartet-I like this one and would recommend at least checking it out. [tpt/flgl, ts, p, b, d] There are a few clinks w/i some numbers but nothing to get too bummed about. (ex. loud brushes, one electric piano number) You're probably not going to mistake the trumpet player for one of the greats or near-greats. Overall, still pretty nice.

kocour2.jpg

Joel Spencer + Mike Koncour-I'm on the fence with this one. [org, ts, ss, d on 6 songs; add g, b on rest] I don't love it but don't hate it. I'm not excited to have it but I'm not disappointed either. It's got a groove/jam feel to it. I'd be pleased to go to a bar and hear these guys.

I'm pretty happy with the lot. Two definitely recommended, one recommeded to check out and one OK.

Edited by mikelz777