Sun Ra Arkestra

Has anyone of you seen them recently? I'd have to make a four hours train/bus ride in one direction to see them, so I'm not 100% sure whether I should make the trip.

Personnel:

Marshall Allen, as, fl; Art Jenkins, voc; Charles Davis, bs; Yahya Abdul Majid, ts; KNoel Scott, as; Michael Ray, tp; Fred Adams, tp; Dave Davis, tb; Tyrone Hill, tb; Dave Hotep, g; Elson Nascimento, perc; Bill Davis, b; Luqman Ali, dr

Crap. I typed out a big, long post on this topic, and it didn't post, and I lost it. Here's my half-ass attempt to say the same thing again.

I only heard the Arkestra with Ra one time, back around 1990.

I've heard the Arkestra under Allan's direction about 3 times (maybe 4), all of them between 1995 and 1999, but I haven't heard them more recently (nothing since 1999). Every time they were anywhere from "very good" to "great!!!" - though always something slightly short of "fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!". But they were always solid, at the very least.

8 hours (round trip) is a MAJOR pain in the ass.

I just read the line-up for that particular show, and I would LOVE to hear Michael Ray some time, one of my all-time favorite Ra sidemen. He's never been with the Arkestra any of the times I've heard them.

Art Jenkins and Charles Davis were at most of the Ra-less Arkestra shows I've seen, and both were always good. (I like Jenkins quite a bit, and I'm otherwise not much on jazz vocalists in general.)

Noel Scott is another name I've never heard with the Ra-less Arkestra, although I specifically remember hearing him back in 1990 with Ra. (I spoke with Scott between sets, if I remember right.)

Tyrone Hill and Luqman Ali are both names I recognise, and think positively of (if I'm remembering right). I think Luqman Ali is on those amazing Sun Ra quartet albums I have, from the late 70's (also with Michael Ray).

Glad to see there's a guitar on the date too (Dave Hotep). I always love guitar in the context of Ra's music.

8 hours (round trip) is a MAJOR pain in the ass. But I'd be tempted.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Well, don't just take my word for it (seriously). I'd like to hear from some other people too. I mean, if it was only 4 hours (round trip), and I was driving (no bus) - I'd be there in a second. This 8-hour round-trip, and the trouble of having to only go when then busses run -- that's a major bummer.

Somebody else here has to have seen the Arkestra recently. I'd hate to be the only one who tips this thing, one way or the other. :unsure: