New format? Revolutionary? What is it?

mmilovan

As far as I know (I´m not a DVD expert) this is not new. 24bit/96kHz Audio is already available on DVDs currently.

Mostly on video DVDs (concerts, video clips), but there are also some audio-only DVDs available in that format:

- DAD discs by Classic Records, released in 1998

- The Bob Brookmeyer/Kenny Wheeler album Island contains a bonus DVD which has video footage, MP3 files, graphic files (the score) and the music content in 24bit/96kHz format.

The problem with this format, as with DVD-A, is that one needs a DVD player (or PC) to listen to the music, so one can´t play it in the car, on the bedroom system or a portable player. This can only be achieved with the new DVD-A DualDiscs, which contain a CD-compatible part, like hybrid SACDs.

There are more and more universal players or DVD players that also play SACD and have high quality audio converters. But most hifi fans still have a better sounding CD player than DVD player. That was also the reason why the DAD mentioned above wasn't successful.

The other problem is that no one really makes a high-end DVD player that has great converters specifically for audio, do they?

Meridian makes a extrememly high end player that supports DVD-A. Also Denon makes a respectable player for 1/10 the price of the Meridian. I'm not sure the format is going to make it, however, those lucky enough to hear a truely top end presentation of DVD-A have nothing but good things to say.