NPR replacing Bob Edwards on 'Morning Edition'

Why fix what ain't broke???? What the hell!!! <_<

SOURCE

story.edwards.jpg

'Morning Edition' replacing Edwards

NPR host to become senior correspondent

Tuesday, March 23, 2004 Posted: 12:26 PM EST (1726 GMT)

NEW YORK (AP) -- Bob Edwards, host of National Public Radio's "Morning Edition" since its inception in 1979, has been forced out of that job.

At the end of April, the 56-year-old Edwards will become senior correspondent of NPR News, with his reports being heard on various network broadcasts.

NPR's Steve Inskeep and Renee Montagne will serve as interim co-hosts starting in May until a permanent successor to Edwards is named.

Spokeswoman Laura Gross said NPR's programming and news management made the change because they're trying to refresh all of the network's broadcasts.

"It's part of a natural evolution," she said. "A new host will bring new ideas and perspectives to the show. Bob's voice will still be heard; he'll still be a tremendous influence on the show. We just felt it was time for a change."

Edwards said he was "proud to have served with my 'Morning Edition' colleagues, who perform a daily miracle at ridiculous hours when resources are not abundant."

NPR estimated Edwards has conducted 20,000 interviews during his years on the show.

The network also announced that two-time Pulitzer Prize-winner William K. Marimow, former editor of The (Baltimore) Sun, will join NPR in a newly created position of managing editor for NPR News.

I've wondered when something was going to happen.

I've been hearing about NPR's long-term demo worries for a while (the newscasts continue to draw more listeners, but apparent they don't appeal to younger listeners in a way that make it look sustainable over the long).

I suspect that's why we hear a lot of new entertainment-oriented segments and a lot of young people doing young-people-oriented stories.

They feel they've got a youth movement to shepherd in, I guess, and now's the time to start when the suporting cast is strong.

I suspect we'll see a younger-side-of-middle-aged minority get the spot (NOT as a affirmative action thing, but because younger and non-white is where their potential growth is, and having somebody to identify with will help them secure that listenership).

--eric

Pretty sure that Edwards is a decent guy, but the way he pronounces his own first name -- "Boawb" is something like it -- has always struck me as the epitome of would-be upscale announcer-ly pretentiousness. Now there could be a regional American accent I'm not familiar with in which "Bob" is pronounced "Boawb" by almost everyone as a matter of course, in which case I take back the above. Does anyone know where, if anywhere, other "Boawbs" can be found?

Pretty sure that Edwards is a decent guy, but the way he pronounces his own first name -- "Boawb" is something like it -- has always struck me as the epitome of would-be upscale announcer-ly pretentiousness. Now there could be a regional American accent I'm not familiar with in which "Bob" is pronounced "Boawb" by almost everyone as a matter of course, in which case I take back the above. Does anyone know  where, if anywhere, other "Boawbs" can be found?

Boawston?

[i moved from Wisconsin to Boston in 1977, and the midwestern way I pronounced "Bob" was understood in Boston as "Barb" -- and when I ordered "potted beef" from the cook where I waitressed, he said "PATT-ed beef? What's PATT-ed beef? Do you mean POAWTTED beef?" BTW this is a REAL working-class accent -- quite the oawpposite of pretentious!]

Edited by maren

Pretty sure that Edwards is a decent guy, but the way he pronounces his own first name -- "Boawb" is something like it -- has always struck me as the epitome of would-be upscale announcer-ly pretentiousness. Now there could be a regional American accent I'm not familiar with in which "Bob" is pronounced "Boawb" by almost everyone as a matter of course, in which case I take back the above. Does anyone know where, if anywhere, other "Boawbs" can be found?

Remember "Coawfee Toawlk"?

snl2.jpg

Bronx, Queens, Long Island?

Edwards bio says he a native of Louisville, Ky. I certainly don't get any working-clas fgeel rom the way he pronounces his own first name, more an odd variant on the pear-shaped tones approach, though I'd be happy to be told it's really a "Luh-ville" thing."

I always thought Edwards was pretty unaffected-sounding (of course he's working at it, but . . .)

Jacki Lyden: now she drives me up a wall with (what I take to be) pseudo-patrician vowel inflections.

And since NPR folks aren't allowed to give themselves monickers, like "Big Bob Edwards," or "Crown Princess of Sheba" (for Lyden), the way they say their names seems to be their trademark: witness Sylvia Poggioli's transformation when she signs off, which has definitely evolved over her tenure, becoming very Italian sounding indeed after she had established herself, and then fading a bit after some angry letters, I suppose.

I despise the way Neil Conan says, "--and this...is talk of the nation."  He really smarms it up; I feel like he's digging me in the ribs every time I hear it.  Ugh!  Shut UP you fatuous dweeb!! :angry:

BruceH, get a grip! ;)