New Japanese Blue Note Vinyl

andybleaden

Saw this on my merry search for info which people may or may not know about. Pretty good site if people have not seen it regarding Japanese Issues with fascinating info. This new lot is just out for the 65th anniversary.

I do not do LPs anymore but I was drooling again

http://microgroove.jp/bluenote-jpn/1989-no...JJ6501-TOJJ6520

Click through the rest of the site and you will find lots of old goodies including this page which showed the old stickers that came with the lps for the masterpiece replica series......anyone have these

http://microgroove.jp/bluenote-jpn/1977-1983.shtml

I will stick the stickers on the next post

Here is the new vinyl eg and list for those not interested in the rest of the site

Mar. 24, 2004 “Blue Note 65th Anniversary” Series, Limited Edition, by Toshiba EMI

Our dream has come true - Toshiba EMI decided to release Blue Note reissues even in this year 2004! This series (20 titles) is to celebrate Blue Note's 65th anniversary. And this series has several specialities...

This is the first Japanese LP reissues ever, from the tapes mastered by Rudy Van Gelder himself. I will listen to the copies tonight, but it may be the best sounding Toshiba reissues. And it must be noted that the cutting engineer of this series is the famous Toru Kotetsu, a superb cutting/pressing engineer in Japan.

And all titles of this series come with coated cardboard jackets, as well as 180g heavy-weight thick flat vinyls.

TOJJ-6501

Somethin' Else

Cannonball Adderley

TOJJ-6502

Cool Struttin'

Sonny Clark

TOJJ-6503

Moanin' Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers

TOJJ-6504

The Scene Changes - The Amazing Bud Powell, Vol.5

Bud Powell

TOJJ-6505

Blue Train

John Coltrane

TOJJ-6506

A Night At The Village Vanguard

Sonny Rollins

TOJJ-6507

Candy

Lee Morgan

TOJJ-6508

Clifford Brown Memorial Album

Clifford Brown

TOJJ-6509

Maiden Voyage

Herbie Hancock

TOJJ-6510

Round About Midnight At The Cafe Bohemia

Kenny Dorham

TOJJ-6511

Jutta Hip With Zoot Sims

Jutta Hip

TOJJ-6512

Swing Swang Swingin'

Jackie McLean

TOJJ-6513

Workout

Hank Mobley

TOJJ-6514

Fuego

Donald Byrd

TOJJ-6515

Flight To Jordan

Duke Jordan

TOJJ-6516

True Blue

Tina Brooks

TOJJ-6517

Undercurrent

Kenny Drew

TOJJ-6517

True Blue

Tina Brooks

TOJJ-6518

Midnight Blue

Kenny Burrell

TOJJ-6519

The Congregation

Johnny Griffin

TOJJ-6520

A Night In Tunisia

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers

Just once again to credit the hard work of the web owner on this one. I Have hada really nice half hour reminiscing

Do you think it is about time for a complete cover website??

DO people here have the necessary resources or should it tie in with the large jazz discography pages??

Anyway I would be interested in helping compile this especially some of the rarer bits and pieces that surface on EBAY which I usually click and keep for a rainy day

Andy

This is the first Japanese LP reissues ever, from the tapes mastered by Rudy Van Gelder himself. I will listen to the copies tonight, but it may be the best sounding Toshiba reissues. And it must be noted that the cutting engineer of this series is the famous Toru Kotetsu, a superb cutting/pressing engineer in Japan.

Do you know if RVG mastered these tapes specifically for the LP reissues or if they simply took the JRVG CD masteres to make these pressings?

Can anyone tell me what's so special about these Japanese Lps?

Do they sound much better than the american pressings?

Not necessarily better just nicer, quality. You may remember that when the conns came out they were going to be wonderful and yet they were poorly packaged with mostly flimsy covers unlike these beauties which if other Japanese pressings are anything to go my ( and I used to have a few of the masterpiece/replica series then they will be welcome

Not cheap though

Maybe it is just attention to detail. I remember the paper thin reissues I picked up from the 70's etc whixh I had not hesitation in trading up for Toshiba pressings and the later rare grooves were not a great deal better.

Andy

Do you think it is about time for a complete cover website??

like this one you mean?

Yeh I have seen that one but we could do with one with all rare or special issues or alternaitve covers like all the japanese ones and the weird late 60's ones etc

Anyway cheers for the reminder

the site linked was recently updated and some of the stuff you mention can be found there now. You have to look around as they new additions seem to have been made rather arbitrarily (i.e. not necessarily under the header you'd expect them to be)

Do you know if RVG mastered these tapes specifically for the LP reissues or if they simply took the JRVG CD masteres to make these pressings?

Hi, I am the owner of that web site.

Unfortunately, I don't know either - but in my humble opinion it actually sounds like digitally-remastered CDs.

I'm thinking to ask to somebody working at Toshiba EMI (or to Mr. Van Gelder himself) for a correct answer...

Edited by shaolin405mi16

btw I would be interested to know what this one was

I will have a scout around

This is a middle-1980s Toshiba pressing of Japan-only promo sampler LP.

The person on the cover, late Shoichi Yui, was Japan's most famous jazz critic and a radio personal. This sampler LP contains digest from famous Blue Note tracks as well as his narrations in Japanese.

Edited by shaolin405mi16

Classic has done a few of them (some in stereo and mono) and

I'm glad Grundman did them.

TOJJ-6501

Somethin' Else

Cannonball Adderley

TOJJ-6502

Cool Struttin'

Sonny Clark

TOJJ-6503(pre-order)

Moanin' Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers

TOJJ-6505

Blue Train

John Coltrane

TOJJ-6507

Candy

Lee Morgan

TOJJ-6511

Jutta Hip With Zoot Sims

Jutta Hip

TOJJ-6517

Undercurrent

Kenny Drew

Nice run of titles. Mint Liberty's may be cheaper. How much are these going to be? $40+.

I have been curious as to whether the "Vintage Vanguard" site is affiliated in any way with the "VV" shop in Tokyo?  Shaolin?

The site "Vintage Vanguard" has nothing to do with the Village Vanguard bookstores in Japan. Here is the real story...

Mikami-san, who is the owner of that site and a certain doctor, is a famous LP collector as well as vintage audio system collector. As you can see, that site has teriffic numbers of photos including vintage LPs, vintage audios, potted cactus, aquariums, expensive cars, tablewares, and so many more.

It is unbelievable that they're all in his house! Maybe he is super-rich doctor...

I don't know whether he's just a snob or he's a real hobbiest, but in my humble opinion I cannot see any sincere affection to those materials in his web site. I think he's just showing how many things he has :wacko:

His house is always open (although reservation is necessary) to all who wish to listen to his vintage audio sound (he even has a number of rooms for such vintage audios - one for monaural system, one for early stereo pressings, one for 78rpms, etc., etc...), although I have never been to.

Awesome? Or Awful? It's up to you...

Edited by shaolin405mi16

TOJJ-6511

Jutta Hip With Zoot Sims

Jutta Hip

Now there's a dilemma!!...I was gonna spring for the new Classic Records one. Can't imagine that the Toshiba one can best it? :unsure:

not sure why this session should be getting special treatment as it's only an average date. IMO