New Japanese Blue Note Vinyl

andybleaden

I see I was off by almost 30%. It's the damn economy, we tend to overvalue things these days.. :unsure:

$42 is a sound price. Now if someone is willing to compare them to the platitude of previous incarnations..

If anyone in NY area is interested, we can do a shoot-out. I have some BN vinyl, others here probably do too. So, whoever wants to buy these [limited edition, I'm sure]..

Yep, $42 ain't bad, considering...

I have a hunch these are going to suck big time soundwise compared to the Classic's. These sound like digital re-masters all the way. When is the last time time RVG did anything analog.

Go to Classic's website and read how it should be done.

Makes me want to go to Red Trumpet and get the Classic BN's I do not have for $25 during sale.

I have been curious as to whether the "Vintage Vanguard" site is affiliated in any way with the "VV" shop in Tokyo?  Shaolin?

The site "Vintage Vanguard" has nothing to do with the Village Vanguard bookstores in Japan. Here is the real story...

Mikami-san, who is the owner of that site and a certain doctor, is a famous LP collector as well as vintage audio system collector. As you can see, that site has teriffic numbers of photos including vintage LPs, vintage audios, potted cactus, aquariums, expensive cars, tablewares, and so many more.

It is unbelievable that they're all in his house! Maybe he is super-rich doctor...

I don't know whether he's just a snob or he's a real hobbiest, but in my humble opinion I cannot see any sincere affection to those materials in his web site. I think he's just showing how many things he has :wacko:

His house is always open (although reservation is necessary) to all who wish to listen to his vintage audio sound (he even has a number of rooms for such vintage audios - one for monaural system, one for early stereo pressings, one for 78rpms, etc., etc...), although I have never been to.

Awesome? Or Awful? It's up to you...

I'd have to say "awesome." I think the fact that he shares his collection(s) with others is admirable. The album cover web site is terrific, a valuable resource and point of inspiration to other jazz collectors and fans, and I wouldn't mind getting a listen to those audio systems he has. :rsmile:

• 4 months later...

I did some digging a while back. I received confirmation that they are from RVG digital masters. I have not heard them, but a very reliable source says they sound pretty bad. I will be passing for this reason and the fact that they are, by and large, popular titles and many other re-issues can be found. For starters, Classic Records has done or will be doing many of them in both stereo and mono. Also, for the same $40-50 each, you can get Liberty or even New York USA pressings from the sixties of some of the same titles. Then there are the 70's pressings along with the Conn's of a few titles that can be had for $20 or so.

If you name specific titles, we may be able to point you in the best direction for sound quality/value in the other re-issues out there. Without looking at the titles in the series, I think there are a couple originals(in M- shape) that can be had for about the same price as these TOJJ's.

The two I've heard (True Blue & The Congregation) sounded just fine, IMHO. The stereo True Blue is closer to mono, much less separation. Nothing I heard made me think "digital" in regards to the sound quality. Nice heavy vinyl pressings, and they have done a terrific job with the covers on these too. On the other hand, I have yet to hear a Blue Note reissue from anyone that beats the earlier Japanese King lps.

• 1 year later...

I did some digging a while back.  I received confirmation that they are from RVG digital masters.  I have not heard them, but a very reliable source says they sound pretty bad.  I will be passing for this reason and the fact that they are, by and large, popular titles and many other re-issues can be found.  For starters, Classic Records has done or will be doing many of them in both stereo and mono.  Also, for the same $40-50 each, you can get Liberty or even New York USA pressings from the sixties of some of the same titles.  Then there are the 70's pressings along with the Conn's of a few titles that can be had for $20 or so.

If you name specific titles, we may be able to point you in the best direction for sound quality/value in the other re-issues out there.   Without looking at the titles in the series, I think there are a couple originals(in M- shape) that can be had for about the same price as these TOJJ's.

If these ones do not sound great, could anybody tell us what are the best BN reissues? I jave just started listening to LPs and there is no way I can afford BN originals on Ebay. They cost a fortune! What are the best BN reissues and where do you get them from?

Edited by ASNL77

If these ones do not sound great, could anybody tell us what are the best BN reissues? I jave just started listening to LPs and there is no way I can afford BN originals on Ebay. They cost a fortune! What are the best BN reissues and where do you get them from?

Opinions vary on what are the the best BN reissues.

Many options, but if I was just getting into Blue Note vinyl(and vinyl, period) I'd start with a few(and if you like them, get more) inprint BN titles from Classic Records. Next, I'd get a few OOP Mosaic sets of Blue Note artists, like Tina Brooks, Thad Jones, Sam Rivers, Horace Parlan, etc.

Then, pick up some Japanese King and Toshiba-EMI titles from the 80's. Usually in good shape, with dead quiet vinyl and good sound.

Many options, but if I was just getting into Blue Note vinyl(and vinyl, period) I'd start with a few(and if you like them, get more) inprint BN titles from Classic Records.  Next, I'd get a few OOP Mosaic sets of Blue Note artists,  like Tina Brooks, Thad Jones,  Sam Rivers, Horace Parlan, etc.

Then, pick up some Japanese King and Toshiba-EMI titles from the 80's.  Usually in good shape, with dead quiet vinyl and good sound.

My way, when I went back to vinyl...and I ended up with originals :crazy:

I can think only two worst way to bankrupcy: drugs and gambling. :g

Edited by porcy62

Many options, but if I was just getting into Blue Note vinyl(and vinyl, period) I'd start with a few(and if you like them, get more) inprint BN titles from Classic Records.  Next, I'd get a few OOP Mosaic sets of Blue Note artists,  like Tina Brooks, Thad Jones,  Sam Rivers, Horace Parlan, etc.

Then, pick up some Japanese King and Toshiba-EMI titles from the 80's.  Usually in good shape, with dead quiet vinyl and good sound.

My way, when I went back to vinyl...and I ended up with originals :crazy:

I can think only two worst way to bankrupcy: drugs and gambling. :g

You forgot to add trophy women ! :lol::crazy:

I would agree. I started with DMMs, descended into Toshiba and Kings and succumbed to the NY USAs. If you have a decent deck set-up there really is nothing to touch them.

Interesting... parallel travels along the BN trip on my end with stops along the Blue Label reissue highway. I'll still pick up a Blue Label or even DMM if cheap if I don't have the title already. I'm *trying* to take the high road and go for better pressings or reissues instead of an armload of "inferior" pressings. It's tough to ignore all of that music in the name of better pressings though.

Check out Robert May's labelography for his opinions on the sound of different pressings / label variations as well. Interesting reading.

I happen to like the Classic Reissues, particularly given the choice between Mono and Stereo releases... uh oh, another BN turf war...

Don't be afraid to take a flyer on beat up older pressings. As Sidewinder says, given a decent TT & cartridge, those surface marks may not be as bad as you think.

Good luck.