Shopping for books

I have a list of books I want to get (some of which you guys put me on to) and I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for a good on-line bookstore with a big stock of philosphy, science, history and music books available at discount prices?

I'm looking to cut down on shipping costs by getting as many of my wants in the same place as possible.

Am I just asking for too much?

--eric

I've also used Powell's. It's also a great (and overwhelming) store to visit in person too.

However, you might want to try alldirect.com.

They have free shipping on orders over $99, and as you're looking to buy many titles you might cross that bar. They also have some pretty fabby prices on jazz cds, so you can mix books & music if you like.

I just did a comparison on 2 of the recently mentioned jazz history books for kicks.

The History of Jazz by Ted Gioia - paperback

Amazon - $11.87

Alldirect - $10.51

A New History of Jazz by Alyn Shipton - hardback

Amazon - $27.97

Alldirect - $24.77

I'm not affiliated with them, just another boardmember thinking about getting some books mentioned here. ;)

I also have yet to try alldirect, though I believe Morganized has. I keep meaning to do a big order of discs but I've been pleasantly sidetracked by Mosaic & Nessa. And will remain so for awhile longer too. :D

Believe it or not, Walmart has a good selection of academic books online, with prices generally lower than those found at amazon. I picked up a stack of advanced (and hence somewhat obscure) math and physics books at Walmart.com a couple years ago at about half the publishers' recommended price. I've also had good luck with Powell's (I used to shop there in person, too - it's an incredible store), but I've found that they tend to somewhat overrate the condition of their used books on their website. I can think of one book I bought from them for around $100 used that was advertised as VG, but was actually quite musty and had a considerable amount of mildew damage on the inside, as well as a severely sun-faded jacket. On the other hand, if you call before ordering they will give you an honest assessment.

Edited by J Larsen