Luiz Bonfa Sung by...Elvis?!?

27 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Do you hear The Jordanaires on there? I don't?

It appears to be Jordanaire-free, but there is that Mancini-esque chorus.  In fact, the entire arrangement sounds very 1960s Mancini.  It would be interesting to hear that arrangement with a more appropriate vocalist.  

The tune predates this version.  I have it on an early 60s Bonfa album under a Portuguese title.  Not sure if there were Portuguese lyrics, or if it started as an instrumental.

EDIT:  I just read the wiki entry.  The tune was "Moonlight in Rio."  

Interesting that it was paired on 45 with "A Little Less Conversation," one of the few Elvis tunes I really dig.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

Not Mancini specifically, but definitely not handled by Elvis' go-to crew. Curious who the contractor (and the uncredited arranger) was for that session...Billy Strange by this point could easily had hired people to hire people, if you know what I mean.

Does the trombone sound like Gil Falco to you?

55 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Does the trombone sound like Gil Falco to you?

I admit that I am not familiar with the name Gil Falco.  When the solo came in, I immediately thought of Dick Nash, again picking up on the Mancini vibe.  Compare the arrangement to this classic from Breakfast at Tiffany's.

Dick Nash, yeah, ok. Gil Falco might have come along a few years later, but was in the LA Kenton/Studio orb by the time of this recording. You will know him from here:

Come to think of it, Billy Strange at the time of this movie was well ensconced in the Sinatra/Reprise world, right? So he would have likely used those people, even if it was to use them to call people, lol.

I can certainly see whoever put it together giving instructions to "make Elvis a Mancini record", for sure. Hell, it was RCA, maybe they went straight to Mancini to get a rec for a ghostwriter.:g

Ah, yes.  I know that record well!  Billy Strange is a possibility.  Considering how huge those Mancini records were, I'm sure there were a lot of arrangers who could ape his sound.  

I had the Mancini arranging book, the one with the CD with examples.  What I found curious, as I studied the examples, is that Mancini did not address the kinds of things that I really wanted to know.