Perry Como's Rock & Roll Trilogy

JSngry

Not a straight face to be found, but not any rolled eyes either.

Moral of the story - Have people who can swing play on your records, have a vocal group who knows how to not NOT swing, then get out of the way, sing the damn song, have fun with it, and let it take care of itself.

Como was in the house when I was a kid (and I mean, like as far back as I can remember, ages 3&4). Him, Frankie Carle, and glenn Miller got played a LOT, especially when I got laid down for a nap (which I seldom actually took).

Most of that stuff didn't survive the trip to pre-adolescence, much less adulthood, but Como did. Como's Golden Records & Como Swings have had a place in my collection since I left home, and they still get played.

But only recently have I began a deeper dive to see what else was there. Turns out there's a LOT, not all of it to my liking, but yes, the guy was a damn good singer.

Sinatra and others brought the drama and shit, but what really strikes me about Como now is his total lack of malevolence. And that's a rare quality, then and now (perhaps especially now).

Still, I was totally unprepared to find these three records, all of which appear to have been hits. 1955-56, on Elvis' label. One would expect that there would be some mockery, some condescension, even some outright hostility.

But no!

They got people in the band who seem to had, at the least, some real Swing band experience (or more than some), so, you know, let the people swing, right? No reason not to! They're having fun (and why not?!?!), and again - a total lack of malevolence.

So yeah, I dig Perry Como. Still!

I will have to check these out.  As I mentioned elsewhere, my mom worked with Perry circa late-1950s to mid-1960s.  That said, I know very little of his stuff except for his Christmas albums.  (My Mom is on the Season's Greetings album, circa 1959 or 60). 

I'm sure everyone here has seen the SCTV skit:

Edited by Teasing the Korean