What's Happening in the SF Bay Area

RainyDay

Apparently there was an item in the SF Weekly that Yoshi's will be breaking ground for a SF club this summer. They plan to keep both clubs operating for the short run. I wish them well. I won't be spending that kind of time or cash in SF. Part of why I go as often as I do is that it is so convenient.

This is really sad news!!!! :angry:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dunno. Yoshi's discontinued their Sunday afternoon 2 PM family set the first of this year. Currently, they have 7 PM and 9 PM sets on Sundays. Maybe they are bringing back the 2 Sunday PM set and axing the 7 PM set?

The 2 PM set was a great bargain for families and a chance to see some of the musicians interacting with the kids. I went with and without kids and usually enjoyed it. Only thing is, some artists get into education mode and don't play as much, which some folks (adults sans kids) find annoying. I dig listening to artists talk about what they do.

If they leave Oakland, it will really break my heart.

IT"S BACK!!! :g Yoshi's has brought back the Sunday Matinees.

THE SUNDAY 2PM MATINEES RETURN EACH & EVERY SUNDAY BEGINNING SUNDAY, JUNE 6 WITH

AIRTO MORIERA'S JAM BAND FEATURING FLORA PURIM!

TIX ON SALE 5/1/04 @10AM!

THANKS FOR ALL OF THE EMAILS AND LETTERS!

THE OWNER HAS DECIDED TO BRING THE MATINEES BACK!

This is good news. However, if a SF club crashes and burns, a long lease won't save them in Oakland (my glass half empty point of view :P ). I also think this may have been a negotiating strategy for a favorable lease as much as a desire to expand to SF.

http://www.oaklandtribune.com/Stories/0,14...2100584,00.html

Yoshi's to stay in Jack London Square

Port approves extension

By Paul T. Rosynsky, STAFF WRITER

OAKLAND -- Fears that an expansion by Yoshi's World Class Jazz House to San Francisco would end its 20-year stay in Oakland subsided Tuesday after the Port of Oakland approved a lease extension with the popular club.

During a closed session Tuesday, the Port Commission accepted a 10-year lease extension with Yoshi's to stay at its current location on the ground floor of the Washington Street parking garage.

"We need to maintain a base in Jack London Square, a level of revenue to maintain the quality and excitement there," said Omar Benjamin, the port's director of commercial real estate. "This represents that base in respect to entertainment and economic value."

With revenues averaging about $4 million a year and endless bookings of world-renowned jazz musicians, Yoshi's has become a premier club within not only the Bay Area but also the country.

Port and city officials point to it as an example of how Oakland can generate nighttime entertainment and how government can lend a helping hand to create successful enterprises.

But the boasting was quieted last year when Yoshi's owner Kaz Kajimura began negotiations to open a club at the corner of Fillmore and Eddy streets in San Francisco.

Not only did that deal threaten the club's future in Oakland, but it also was viewed by some as a slap to Oakland officials who spent more than $2 million to help keep the club in business and relocate it from Claremont Avenue to Jack London Square in 1997.

But as rumors swirled about what Kajimura had in mind, port and city officials quietly began negotiating with the owner a deal that would keep his business in Oakland until at least 2017 and allow him to expand to San Francisco.

Kajimura said it was the city and port's past assistance that helped him decide to stay.

"They put a lot of money into this and it was a very, very sweet deal for us," he said Wednesday. "We owe a lot to Oakland."

While the new lease extension lacks the large city and port subsidy provided in the first, it continues to be a "good deal" for Yoshi's, Kajimura said.

According to Benjamin, Yoshi's will pay about $37,000 a month in rent for its 17,277-square-foot club and restaurant, or 8.5 percent of gross revenues, whichever is greater. In addition, the club will have to pay a special tax, similar to a property tax.

That tax, which has never been paid by the club, will allow the city to finally begin recouping the $2 million it spent in 1997.

Currently, Yoshi's does not pay the tax and contributes 10.25 percent of its gross revenue to the port.

Benjamin said the deal could generate on average $450,000 a year for the port.

"This deal was important for us and the city because we are now in a position to not just recoup but to get a return," he said. "This has become a world-class venue."

In return, Yoshi's will be allowed to expand to San Francisco. It also won the exclusive rights to be the only Japanese restaurant in Jack London Square and the only jazz night club.

Small sushi bars offering "food in hand" sushi or fusion-style restaurants will be allowed under the deal.

Kajimura said the deal will help him maintain a base of operations as he attempts to expand to San Francisco.

And that expansion, he said, will not hurt the Oakland spot whose patrons are primarily East Bay residents. Instead, Kajimura said, it could help him prevent a bidding war with a competitor for music acts.

If Kajimura owned a jazz club in both cities, he could offer a better deal for musicians, he said.

"We really like it here, and the business is booming," he said. "I owe it to the city of Oakland for saving us from the brink of extinction."

Edited by RainyDay

• 3 weeks later...

8TH ANNUAL JAZZ ON 4TH STREET FESTIVAL

Sunday, May 16, 12:30pm-4:30pm!

On 4th Street in Berkeley, between Hearst & Virginia,

FREE! Jazz On 4TH Street Hotline, 510.526.6294

FREE Musical Performances with

* Mark Hummel & The Blues Survivors

* Quimbombó

* Natasha Miller

* The Award-Winning Berkeley High Jazz Orchestra & Combos

Presented by KCSM/Jazz 91, 4th Street Merchants and Yoshi's at Jack London Square, the 8th Annual Jazz on 4th Street Festival will Sunday, May 16, 12:30pm-4:30pm. This free outdoor music festival benefits the Berkeley High Performing Arts and the award-winning Berkeley High Jazz ensemble. The Berkeley High Jazz Ensemble, once home to Joshua Redman, Dave Ellis, Benny Green and many others, is facing major budget cuts including the possibility of ending support of the jazz programs. "This Festival is one way we can help keep jazz going at Berkeley High,". Parent Coordinator Lori Ferguson says. "Without the wonderful help of the merchants on 4th Street and Abrams/Millikan each year with this Festival, people all over the world would not have the joy of hearing these accomplished musicians. We truly appreciate the help of the community in giving to the Jazz Program. This year is dire with budget cuts to the High School and we need all the help we can get." 4th Street and the ! plaza will be filled with plenty of sunshine, music, fun and 4th Street merchants with food and their wares. Raffle Tickets will be for sale to enter to win many prizes form the Merchants including a shopping spree on 4th Street!

There will be free musical performances by several of today's top Bay Area groups, including blues from Mark Hummel & The Blues Survivors, salsa dancing with Quimbombó, jazz vocalist Natasha Miller and two Berkeley High School Combos and the award-winning Berkeley High Jazz Orchestra.

Just checked the San Jose Jazz Festival website. The festival this year is August 5-8. I went a couple of summers ago and had a great time.

AND IT'S FREE!!

For details: http://www.sanjosejazz.org/

The line-up so far is:

RAY BARRETTO

TERENCE BLANCHARD

JANE BUNNETT

DENA DEROSE

DAVE ELLIS

PETE ESCOVEDO

INSIGHT

MARK LEVINE

PASCAL AND REMY LE BOEUF

VIRGINIA MAYHEW

JAMES MOODY

OAKLAND INTERFAITH CHOIR

BOBBY SANABRIA

JOHN SANTOS

SAN JOSE JAZZ SOCIETY BIG BAND FEATURING STEVE TURRE

LIZZ WRIGHT

...AND MANY MORE TO BE ANNOUNCED JUNE 9,2004

Edited by RainyDay

• 3 weeks later...

One of my favorite Brazilian artists, Joao Bosco, will be at the Herbst Theatre on June 30. Bosco is one of the great MPB singer-songwriters of the generation that came up in the 70s and matured in the 80s. Elis Regina was a great champion of his songs early on.

• 2 weeks later...

Some happenings this weekend:

Saturday June 12

Soul of Things

Tomasz Stanko Quartet

Florence Gould Theatre, 2Pm

Sunday June 13

Jazz Mavericks Series: Solo Shipp

Matthew Shipp

Florence Gould Theatre, 2PM

Sunday June 13

The Music of Stan Getz: Focus

David Sánchez Quartet with the Alexander String Quartet

Herbst Theatre, 7PM.

Sunday June 13

Regina Carter Quartet

Tin Hat Trio

Stern Grove Park, 2PM

The San Jose Jazz Festival schedule is finally out!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gala --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, August 5

7:30 pm - Kim Nalley

8:30 pm - Taylor Eigsti Trio

9:15 pm - Jamie Davis

Main Stage --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, August 6

12:00 pm - Pascal & Remy LeBeouf

5:30 pm - Los Rumberos

7:30 pm - Bobby Sanabria

Sunday, August 8

12:00 pm - Oakland Interfaith Choir

2:00 pm - Lizz Wright

4:00 pm - Terence Blanchard

6:00 pm - Ray Barretto

Saturday, August 7

2:00 pm - San Jose Jazz Society Big Band with Steve and Michael Turre

4:00 pm - James Moody

6:00 pm Pete Escovedo with Ray Vega

Latin Stage

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday, August 7

1:00 pm - Viva Brasil

3:00 pm - Al Molina

5:00 pm - Rumba Club

7:00 pm - Insight

Sunday August 8

1:00 pm - Afromantra

3:00 pm - John Santos

5:00 pm - Mark Levine

7:00 pm - Nosotros

Salsa Stage --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday, August 7

12:30 pm - Charangon

2:30 pm - Palanque

4:30 pm - Mazacote

6:30 pm - QBA

Sunday, August 8

12:30 pm - San Francisco Latin Youth Ensemble

2:30 pm - Vission Latina

4:30 pm - Benny Velarde Super Combo

6:30 pm - Charanson

Repertory Theatre

Saturday, August 7

12:30 pm - LifeForce

2:30 pm - Jovino Santos-Neto

4:30 pm - John Worley

6:30 pm - Dena DeRose

Sunday, August 8

12:30 pm - Kim Nalley

2:30 pm - Dave Ellis

4:30 pm - Peter Bernstein

6:30 pm - Jane Bunnett

Dobson Stage

Saturday, August 7

1:00 pm - Glen Pearson

3:00 pm - John Stowell

5:00 pm - Haffez Moderzidei

7:00 pm - Tierney Sutton

Sunday, August 8

1:00 pm - Lifetime Achievers

3:00 pm - Sash Dobson, Weedy

5:00 pm - Sylvia Cuenca

7:00 pm - Virginia Mayhew

Blues Stage

Saturday, August 7

12:30 pm - Julian Vaught Blues Band

2:30 pm - The Huckelbucks

4:30 pm - Taylor P. Collins

6:30 pm - Gary Smith Blues Band

Sunday, August 8

12:30 pm - Johnny Smith

2:30 pm - Jeffrey Halford

4:30 pm - Julian Vaught Blues Band featuring Ella Pennewell

6:30 pm - Chris Cain

One more event: ;)

Healdsburg Jazz Festival

Music: Jazz/Blues

Featuring Charles Lloyd and Zakir Hussain, Roy Haynes with the Fountain of Youth, Kim Parker, the Geri Allen Trio, others.

Through 6/13/2004 various locations in Healdsburg

Onf of my co-workers is going to check Healdsburg.

• 3 weeks later...

I participated in a planning charette a couple Saturdays ago that was held at the The Oakland Box. This is a very cool little performing arts center that features music (including jazz) and spoken word, among other things. It used to be the Black Box, which I'd heard about. It's aimed at younger folk but I know a couple of old fogies who found their way there and enjoyed it very much. It's located at 1928 Telegraph Avenue in Oakland, just a couple doors down from Sears. Nice little place with an eclectic mix of events.

http://www.oaklandbox.com/contact.php

• 1 month later...

This weekend:

The San Jose Jazz Festival. Mostly free events. I plan on catching Terence Blanchard and Lizz Wright. Maybe a few more.

The Stanford Jazz Fest. There are still some concerts on this weekend which I believe is the last weekend.

Edited by jack

The SJ Festival was good. I stayed all day Saturday and when Sunday rolled around, I gave out at 1:30PM. Just too hot. I did go back for Ray Baretto later that evening. Bobby Sanabria was wonderful Friday night and I finally got to see James Moody on Saturday. I never made it to the other stages and I never made it to Pete Escovedo's new club. I think this is club #4 for Pete, the first three didn't work out. I hope this one works out for him. It's in a great location, right near the Convention Center and some major hotels. I'll have to keep an eye on what talent they book so I can plan to go down and check the place out.

SJ is a nice festival but if it's hot, it can be pretty miserable even in the shade. I don't do well with the heat.

• 4 weeks later...