Epiphany? 1961 Release w/ heavy handed title…

Jon King

A while back, I felt an urge to burn a CD which I titled Definitive Songs or something similar.  As a listener to jazz from the mid ‘60s till now, I wanted to do my own best-ever curation. 
As I remember I included:  a take by Nina Simone, “Born Under a Bad Sign” and “Billie’s Bounce” by Buddy Rich’s group from Very Live at Buddy’s Place and “You Make Me Feel So Young” from Gene Harris (Like a Lover).  And these and a solo break in a Keb ‘Mo tune and “I Remember Clifford” Stan Getz Dynasty comprised my list for what has been years until several weeks ago.  Although these recordings have been my bedrock championship winners, I found that the record gods had another delight in mind for me.

My most recent highest award goes to:

Curtis Fuller: Boss of the Soul-Stream Trombone. Check out Track 1, “Chantized,”.  Wow!!  Every solo a singular masterpiece.  But with Fuller, Freddie Hubbard, Yusef Lateef, Walter Bishop, Jr., Stu Martin and Buddy Catlett why be selfish or smug about good fortune?