'Free Jazz Institute' transcriptions

Jack Pine

I'm wondering if anyone here knows what became of freejazzinstitute.com/.org? It was an amazing resource, seemingly with a fairly active community and a huge archive of user added transcriptions. Then it just up and disappeared. It seems I can still get any of the old transcriptions using the 'wayback machine', but I'm wondering if the people involved with it have moved on somewhere else?

I'm assuming that freejazzinstitute.com/.org is a file-sharing site where people upload and download copyrighted published music. As such, it probably was taken down by the authorities. Unfortunately, a Google search of this site now leads right back to this thread. As a result, people searching for this illegal site will find a link to the Organissimo board. I don't believe the people running and monitoring the board want this kind of attention. Personally, I love sharing, but I do it with a little more discretion.

19 hours ago, sonnymax said:

I'm assuming that freejazzinstitute.com/.org is a file-sharing site where people upload and download copyrighted published music. As such, it probably was taken down by the authorities. Unfortunately, a Google search of this site now leads right back to this thread. As a result, people searching for this illegal site will find a link to the Organissimo board. I don't believe the people running and monitoring the board want this kind of attention. Personally, I love sharing, but I do it with a little more discretion.

I appreciate your concern but no, this was not any kind of illegal site. You would not for instance find scans of official Hal Leonard sheets or the like, I know there are a few sites like that. It was all user shared 'homemade' transcriptions, and there was some pretty obscure stuff on there: Shorter, Mobley, Duke Jordan, John Hicks... so many transcriptions. People could make requests too. All non-commercial and in the spirit of education, no one was making any kind of money, they didn't even run ads. I kind of assume the reason it shut down is it was a labor of love for whoever was paying for it, maintaining it, and it just got too laborious.