Is there a 12-step program for CD addicts?

Hardbopjazz

I'm 26 years old.  Not a lot of female jazz fans in my circle.

I just separate my love of music and women.  I've just accepted that a woman won't understand (nevermind share) this passion.  They just have to tolerate it.  Let me buy my music, let me go to the concerts, and don't get on my case.

Letting someone do their own thing is as important in a relationship as sharing things.  Music is my own thing.

My goal is to make my wife love jazz as much as I do. That would be like finding peace in the middle east. Hard, but impossible. She did like Jimmy Smith when we saw him live. Let's playn some of his albums without any complaints.

Edited by Hardbopjazz

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I'm sure there is. Most of my life IS music, so I think that is what makes it difficult to imagine a tryst with this woman being say, lasting. I guess I'm generalizing a little bit. I won't even go into the stereotypes my mind reels off when thinking about what her other cultural tastes might be, after hearing her smooth jazz leanings. Maybe this woman is really great, no matter who is stinkin' up the room on the stereo. I'm not going to rule anything out. I do feel that if we ever did get together, for real...we'd have to maintain seperate cd storage spaces. I can't imagine having Rick Braun cds next to Clifford Brown. B)

doubleM: I'm glad that you are not ruling out getting to know this woman better. Life is about growth and interaction. I would shudder if you saw my CD collection from just a few short years ago. (Yes, I own Kenny G Live, but it has been residing under the legs of one of my dressers for quite a few years) But people grow and change; maybe she just needs to be exposed to something different. That is the loveliness of life... sharing ourselves and our experiences w/others.

To simply assume that since she likes more contemporary music which might be "light" for your taste that she has poor taste in other areas of life is, um, a little shallow. (I say this w/affection--I just hate to see people miss out on things in life due to preconceived notions ;) ). Generalizations of any type just kinda bug me... (see my above post). I think she has the basis for potentially truly falling in love with your kind of music.

Give it a shot and see how you can influence her.

PS LOVE your drawings!

I don't know, Rachel. For some reason, the music I listen to is not something that I would want the permanent man in my life to just tolerate, as somebody said.

Jazz is a genuine passion in my life and the idea that the man who is the love of my life would be somewhere else in the house, perhaps listening to "smooth jazz" or something that I abhor, would make me sad. If I couldn't share the love of jazz with the one I love, then they wouldn't really be my soulmate.

Just tolerating my jazz, without sharing the love I have for it, wouldn't be enough.

BTW, Hardbopjazz, "Walk On The Wild Side", by Jimmy Smith was one of the very first jazz records I listened to, voluntarily. It blew me away!!! Then came Brubecks's "Take Five" and Moe Kauffman's"Swingin' Shepherd Blues". There's hope for your wife. :wub:

Edited by patricia

• 3 weeks later...

don't know, Rachel. For some reason, the music I listen to is not something that I would want the permanent man in my life to just tolerate, as somebody said.

Jazz is a genuine passion in my life and the idea that the man who is the love of my life would be somewhere else in the house, perhaps listening to "smooth jazz" or something that I abhor, would make me sad. If I couldn't share the love of jazz with the one I love, then they wouldn't really be my soulmate.

Just tolerating my jazz, without sharing the love I have for it, wouldn't be enough.

Wow. That's quite interesting.

Very few men under 30 can pull that off. :(