Is there a 12-step program for CD addicts?

Hardbopjazz

I'm well on my way to achieving my 12 step before Thursday. I received the following cds today via ebay:

Dexter Gordon - A Day in Copenhagen

Here Comes Frank Foster

Cy Touff - His Octet and Quintet

Lem Winchester and the Ramsey Lewis Trio

Not to mention that courtesy of Garth, I just bought and received Marshall Stearns's The Story of Jazz.

It's like Christmas in March (at my expense :ph34r:) :wacko:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In this formula, we'll call the cost of the box "X". I already own six of the CD's that are included in this set. We'll call these "Y". I know I can sell "Y" for $24.00 at my local CD recycler. So, in my screwy little world it doesn't take much to convince me that the box really doesn't cost "X", but (X-Y). What the truly troubled like myself find a way to ignore, though, is the fact that the six CD's I already own originally set me back around $72. This we'll call "Z". So, the total cost of the box is really not (X - Y), but (X-Y) + Z. You know what I say to that? I say, get out the checkbook, I'm about to make a killing.

Puh-leeeeze. It's still X + Z because you KNOW that X is going to be paid by credit card and you got Y in cash from the used CD store, so now you have Y burnin' a whole in your pocket, and you'll spend it on CDs in a brick-and-mortar store somewhere.

It's X+Z, man, it's ALWAYS X+Z

I will actually have to stop buying discs soon- I'm due to get laid off, and whatever I wind up in will mean a large pay cut. The cd budget will be the first to go, unfortunately. I was thinking, though, what if I give up eating? Wouldn't that save me enough money to STILL buy cds... Spoken like a true addict, right?

I bought 10,000 recordings, then quit. Well, almost quit. I'm down to fewer than a half-dozen a year. Can't tell anyone how to do it (and wouldn't presume that I should), but it can be done.

Say you've got 1000 CDs. 60 minutes each. 60,000 minutes. At three hours a day (oh, I wish I had that much time to REALLY listen!), that's once through the ol' collection per year. I was to the point where I knew I'd be dead before I heard everything I owned. Now, I'm just hoping to someday get through the "C"s.

Edited by BeBop

I bought 10,000 recordings, then quit. Well, almost quit. I'm down to fewer than a half-dozen a year. Can't tell anyone how to do it (and wouldn't presume that I should), but it can be done.

Say you've got 1000 CDs. 60 minutes each. 60,000 minutes. At three hours a day (oh, I wish I had that much time to REALLY listen!), that's once through the ol' collection per year. I was to the point where I knew I'd be dead before I heard everything I owned. Now, I'm just hoping to someday get throught the "C"s.

We figured it out at work one day.

My math wiz coworker figured it would take me 53 years of continuous listening to hear my entire collection. :wacko:

I bought 10,000 recordings, then quit.  Well, almost quit.  I'm down to fewer than a half-dozen a year.  Can't tell anyone how to do it (and wouldn't presume that I should), but it can be done. 

Say you've got 1000 CDs.  60 minutes each.  60,000 minutes.  At three hours a day (oh, I wish I had that much time to REALLY listen!), that's once through the ol' collection per year.  I was to the point where I knew I'd be dead before I heard everything I owned.  Now, I'm just hoping to someday get throught the "C"s.

We figured it out at work one day.

My math wiz coworker figured it would take me 53 years of continuous listening to hear my entire collection. :wacko:

...then again, three-quarters of my collection may not be worth listening to.

I recently had some serious quarreling with my wife about ROOM in our fairly reduced (about 100 m2) house, and WEEKLY (or should I say daily?) CD PURCHASE RATE! The worst thing about it is that I know she´s completely right: we should throw away all my two children´s toys... or buy a new house, what, at the current real state Madrid prices... would be in some next millenium!!!

That´s why I´m selling my opera collection, and will sell a great part of my pop/rock collection. I´ve become too jazzaholic!

In spite of all this bla-bla-bla... 45 or 50 new CDs are on their way to my place. ;)

I've not got a problem at all.....

I noticed that my credit card bills were heading towards astromical, so I sold alot of my old (non jazz ) cds to raise some extra cash towards the bill , well the money would have gone towards the bill but the exchange rate was low so it was a good time to get the Evin Jones mosaic & the the Konitz/Marsh& Tristano went on the running low , the then the new Selects came out & the RVGs , plus theres those Hatologys from.....

• 3 weeks later...

Yesss,

so much "problems with wifes" :) and mine is the same. In time passed by, collection of mine climbed to around 1000 pieces. CDs were everywhere in the house, so it was quick ultimatum: either I will make some good tower for organizing collection, or - as she "promised" - she will throw them all away, right through window :)

And what else can I do - I made "wall" of CDs.

But, I know for a sad story about jazz record collector (it was during vinyl days) in Belgrade. He had so much pieces, and he didn't do anything than listening to music all day.

So, his wife really throw all the records out and him too!

:blink:

Edited by mmilovan

It occurs to me that we are dealing w/ men-only issue here, sporting these addictions. I'd give an eye-tooth to hear a woman sharing her "addiction to jazz cd buying" story right about now. I remember walking around NYC w/ my ex-wife while on our honeymoon, and I was so vigilant about shopping for jazz (cd's, lp's, prints, all of it), that we had some power struggles. I got some great shit on that trip, though...and saw some amazing acts. It was worth it, I guess...is my point. B)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...