San Antonio, Texas, any jazz?

Some of the best jazz experiences I've had in the last year or so was at "The Landing," a club on the Riverwalk by the Hilton. As far as I can tell you can go in there almost any night and hear great jazz, mostly unamplified. This is a traditional/mainstream jazz joint; the last time I was there there was a wonderful trombone and piano trio group of local All Stars that played a predominantly Ellington repretoire; I was in heaven from the pure sound and the great playing. This is also Jim Cullum and his band's "headquarters."

The Landing website

landsg31.jpg

Edited by jazzbo

I'd also recommend a not cheap dinner that is wonderful here, at Boudro's, just a short stroll from the Landing. . . .

gfx-title.jpg

The guacamole that they make RIGHT AT YOUR TABLE is a must, and I can't wait to have their blackened prime rib again!

DAMN IT! Now I'm REALLY hungry!

Boudro's Web Page

Edited by jazzbo

Don't miss Cowtown Boots while you're there. They have Justin and Tony Lama "seconds" (but with their label on them) for about $69 for styles with "normal" leather. You would never know that they are seconds. This is a chain that is not just in San Antone, but that was the last CB location that I visited. The guy in the store told me about this dude in France who faxed over an outline of his son's feet!

New boots need to be broken in. After buying a couple of pairs, I was in a Wendy's and took them off, whereupon a staff member told me that that was illegal, though he had guessed what was going on.

Hey, Lon, have they resurfaced I-35 yet? On sections between San Antone and Ft Worth the last time I was there, it was so rough in the right lane that you had to drive in the left lane most of the time. I can't remember whether the bad stretches were North or South of Austin.

I haven't traveled that way in about four months, but they are ALWAYS working on some part of that road, and usually NOT the part that needs it.

Boots? I wore boots. . . TIL I came to Texas. Too hot in Texas to wear boots! At least if you actually do a lot of walking, as I did and do. I soon ditched them and have been wearing Rockports and Birkenstoks (the "Chicago" model) since.

I swear I STILL think about the guacamole, blackened prime rib and the cactus margarita I had there! Man, that dinner, then a nice walk around the Riverwalk, and then over to The Landing for a set. . . one of the best evenings I've had in a long time. Helen loved it all too which was a big help!

Soon as I get a family obligation trip out of the way I'm going to lobby for another weekend in San Antonio!

Edited by jazzbo

• 9 months later...