Wally Fawkes

BillF

I think I might have seen him once in the Swanage ‘Trad’ tent - but maybe I am thinking of someone else.

Certainly remember his Trog cartoons. Must be something about Trad jazz and cartoons, with Humph also being very proficient. RIP.

Edited by sidewinder

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

I think Bill Birch’s book even has a street map showing where the place was !

Just pulled out my copy ... ;)

The are street maps showing the locations of various clubs on p. 37, 53, 69, 141, 197, 215, 236 but none indicate the Bodega.

The map on p. 197 covers Cross Street but does not identify the Bodega Club. But on page 51 it says the club was on 15 Cross Street. And pictures of and from the Bodega are on p. 113, for example.

Club 43 is listed on p. 37 and (at its final site) on p. 236.

I have the feeling that I caught him live as part of a group led by trombonist Campbell Burnap.

Also a proficient cricketer. Here he is as part of the ‘Ravers XI’, a team drawn from the jazz world in the UK back in the day (when batters were still called batsmen).

Frank-Parr-leads-Ravers-off-696x544.jpg

In the centre of the lineup is Frank Parr, a county (Lancashire) and international standard player I.e. the team ringer. Ray Smith of ‘Rays Jazz’ fame is on the far left (looking like a Pepper Adams doppelgänger). Wally Fawkes is in the centre back smoking.

Edited by sidewinder