Dollar Bins? Must Peruse or Must Skip?

Dan Gould

I can also mostly talk about recent years, having seriously gotten into used vinyl since 2016 or so... I usually skip bins that are not ordered by genre unless I really have time to kill - any somewhat well-curated shop will have the vast majority of stuff I find interesting sorted at least by genre... when there is a bin with Jazz records for 5 Euro that is very often where I find the best stuff, a lot of what I like is not expensive... some of the shops here also have bins with 1, 2, 2.50 or even 3 Euro Jazz records, those are also great.

Edited by Niko

I love a bargain bin! Often you find nothing but sometimes you get lucky - I found a nice 50s Count Basie test pressing on Columbia for a quid not too long ago.

My top record fair tip is to always check the £2 box of the dealers that don't sell jazz (i.e. most of them) as quite often any jazz they buy in as part of a collection will get dumped in there as they just want shot of it.

I'm jealous of our Dutch members. Old jazz records in the UK tend to expensive and scarce but I always have good luck hunting for cheap records in Amsterdam.

Anyways, all good fun and FAR more rewarding than flicking through the latest £45 reissues..