Johnny Griffin with Monk

mjzee

13 minutes ago, Niko said:

indeed, just looked into Kelley's book, it's early 1970 between Rouse and Jeffrey, Kelley mentions btw that Patrick played tenor for this gig (but maybe bari as well)... Apparently, Wilbur Ware was making most of the suggestions for personnel in this phase of the Monk band, he first asked Dewey Redman as Rouse's replacement (turned them down), then Patrick (who was there for a few months) then altiost Clarence C Sharpe (who couldn't make it) then Jeffrey 

Wow, Dewey Redman....would have sounded interesting.  I didn´t know that Wilbur Ware played with Monk in the later years. I think I heard him on record with Monk earlier in the 50´s. Who were Monk´s later bass-players. For a short time it was Dave Holland that sounded good, then I think it was Larry Riddle if I remember right. On a 1969 video there is a bass player with a scandinavian name who I never had seen or heard before, and a kid on drums, who is not really ready and they don´t keep the time. I think some tunes became faster and faster during the solos. 

2 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Wow, Dewey Redman....would have sounded interesting.  I didn´t know that Wilbur Ware played with Monk in the later years. I think I heard him on record with Monk earlier in the 50´s. Who were Monk´s later bass-players. For a short time it was Dave Holland that sounded good, then I think it was Larry Riddle if I remember right. On a 1969 video there is a bass player with a scandinavian name who I never had seen or heard before, and a kid on drums, who is not really ready and they don´t keep the time. I think some tunes became faster and faster during the solos. 

The basist was Nate "Lloyd" Hygelund, now apparently a resident of Oregon.

This is from another message board, eight years ago: "Nate Hygelund is nearly 80 years old and lives in Central Oregon. His memories and experiences playing with many of the greats of the bebop era are incredible. He taught at Berklee and was the resident bassist at the Jazz Workshop in Boston during the 60's."

https://rec.music.bluenote.narkive.com/fba8yOuj/nate-hygelund

15 hours ago, Daniel A said:

The basist was Nate "Lloyd" Hygelund, now apparently a resident of Oregon.

This is from another message board, eight years ago: "Nate Hygelund is nearly 80 years old and lives in Central Oregon. His memories and experiences playing with many of the greats of the bebop era are incredible. He taught at Berklee and was the resident bassist at the Jazz Workshop in Boston during the 60's."

https://rec.music.bluenote.narkive.com/fba8yOuj/nate-hygelund

Oh yes, now I saw it. He plays some great bass on that ´69 concert in Paris, but it seems that he had remained quite obscure. Same with the drummer Paris Wright. Philly Joe Jones is great there. There is a nice interview Monk with Jacques Hess, a french bass player. And I liked most his answer when he is asked which of his compositions he likes most where he says "I didn´t rate them" . 
The end of the contract with CBS must have been a bitter experience for Monk. 
I think it was the same thing with Dexter more than 10 years later. CBS dropped him and I think something like that really hurts. He wasn not the same anymore after that, like Monk before.....