Jazz Is Music WNDT Channel 13 TV Show Hosted by Hall Overton and Recorded Live at the New School

david weiss

Anyone familiar with this show from 1963 or so?

Five episodes total apparently. One hour TV show with live music and lengthy discussions describing what's happening for the lay person. 

I have heard episodes with Thelonious Monk (with Charlie Rouse), Sonny Rollins (with Paul Bley and Billy Higgins) and Horace Silver (with Blue Mitchell and Junior Cook).

I've heard pieces of a 4th episode with Art Farmer. 

I don't know who the 5th artist was. 

These are great. Great playing, interesting conversations. 

I have only heard the audio of a couple of the shows while going through an archive I, unfortunately, can not discuss. 

However, I discovered that the W. Eugene Smith (the Jazz Loft guy) made audio recordings of these shows off his TV.

I'm going through the list of tapes in his archive now as we speak looking for listings for the shows and have found the 5th show, which is the Al Cohn and Zoot Sims Quintet.

I know the Sonny Rollins is in this archive as well....

I'm not sure if you can listen or what their protocols are but I'm going to look into it. 

4 hours ago, david weiss said:

I have only heard the audio of a couple of the shows while going through an archive I, unfortunately, can not discuss. 

However, I discovered that the W. Eugene Smith (the Jazz Loft guy) made audio recordings of these shows off his TV.

I'm going through the list of tapes in his archive now as we speak looking for listings for the shows and have found the 5th show, which is the Al Cohn and Zoot Sims Quintet.

I know the Sonny Rollins is in this archive as well....

I'm not sure if you can listen or what their protocols are but I'm going to look into it. 

So it sounds like there are two different archives you are accessing?

8 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

So it sounds like there are two different archives you are accessing?

It's one archive, the W. Eugene Smith archive. I've searched their data base and they have all the shows. 

I initially discovered the show (I had never heard about it before)), while going through the tapes of a musician's estate. Unfortunately, at this point, I can't discuss the identity of the musician.

5 hours ago, david weiss said:

It's one archive, the W. Eugene Smith archive. I've searched their data base and they have all the shows. 

I initially discovered the show (I had never heard about it before)), while going through the tapes of a musician's estate. Unfortunately, at this point, I can't discuss the identity of the musician.

That's the kind of secrecy that actually gives me hope that something might be afoot and that not only will you eventually be able to discuss but that we might also be able to see and discuss ourselves.