Rabshakeh

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 12/3/2023 at 12:44 PM, soulpope said:

Willie Colon & Ruben Blades "Buscando Guayaba" (Fania Records)     1978 .... bought as new release both this track and the album overall remained close to my heart over the years ....

What a great album! The stars were aligned for this one...

On 12/10/2023 at 5:10 AM, soulpope said:

Papo Lucca is brilliant ....

Speaking of Papo Lucca. . .  Which album is your favorite album by La Sonora Ponceña

I'd probably go with Explorando or La Orquesta de Mi Tierra

What say you?

EDIT
@soulpope, I just now noticed the cut you featured from Musical Conquest earlier in the thread.  I suppose that answers my question.  ;) 

Edited by HutchFan

On 12/10/2023 at 3:29 AM, soulpope said:

Ismael Quintana "Lo Que Estoy Viviendo" (Vaya Records) 1976 .... the piano features (here Papo Lucca) keep pouring ....

I love Ismael Quintana's vocals -- but I'd only heard him sing with Eddie Palmieri.  I've never explored his solo work.  So this music is completely new to me, and it is OUTSTANDING!  :tup :tup :tup 

9 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Speaking of Papo Lucca. . .  Which album is your favorite album by La Sonora Ponceña

I'd probably go with Explorando or La Orquesta de Mi Tierra

What say you?

EDIT
@soulpope, I just now noticed the cut you featured from Musical Conquest earlier in the thread.  I suppose that answers my question.  ;) 

The band was exceptional in the 70's overall, my slight preference goes to the recordings feat. Luigi Texidor  .... obviously - as proven by said track - the voice of Miguelito Ortiz excelled too and both piano and refined arrangements of Papo Lucca were a bright spot anyway ....

11 hours ago, soulpope said:

The band was exceptional in the 70's overall, my slight preference goes to the recordings feat. Luigi Texidor  .... obviously - as proven by said track - the voice of Miguelito Ortiz excelled too and both piano and refined arrangements of Papo Lucca were a bright spot anyway ....

Thanks!  :tup

I'm not an expert, but it seems like there was a slight-but-definite evolution in La Sonora Ponceña when Lucca took over as producer, beginning with Musical Conquest in 1976.  Even though I like the stuff from the first half of the decade, there does seem to be an increase in the "jazz quotient" in the latter half of the 1970s.  For example, Lucca's piano interludes are often featured a la Eddie or Charlie Palmieri.  

That's the stuff that really captures my ear & gets me stoked:  When the Venn diagram of jazz and salsa (or perhaps we could use the more general term Latin music) aren't only adjacent, there's overlap.  And when the overlap is "significant enough" (however one might define that!), you have Latin jazz.

Of course, this is all a continuum thing.  The lines between these genres are very fuzzy and porous.  And that's one of the many things that makes this topic so interesting.

Edited by HutchFan

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

Thanks!  :tup

I'm not an expert, but it seems like there was a slight-but-definite evolution in La Sonora Ponceña when Lucca took over as producer, beginning with Musical Conquest in 1976.  Even though I like the stuff from the first half of the decade, there does seem to be an increase in the "jazz quotient" in the latter half of the 1970s.  For example, Lucca's piano interludes are often featured a la Eddie or Charlie Palmieri.  

That's the stuff that really captures my ear & gets me stoked:  When the Venn diagram of jazz and salsa (or perhaps we could use the more general term Latin music) aren't only adjacent, there's overlap.  And when the overlap is "significant enough" (however one might define that!), you have Latin jazz.

Of course, this is all a continuum thing.  The lines between these genres are very fuzzy and porous.  And that's one of the many things that makes this topic so interesting.

Thnx for your thoughts .... off course there is a mix in/of various genres and definitions are hard to be drawn .... while selecting music for this thread most of the tracks simply make my heart beat faster (or "prick up my ears"😎) .... as so often this is about personal taste (too) ....

8 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Thnx for your thoughts .... off course there is a mix in/of various genres and definitions are hard to be drawn .... while selecting music for this thread most of the tracks simply make my heart beat faster (or "prick up my ears"😎) .... as so often this is about personal taste (too) ....

At the end of the day, that's all that matters.   :tup 

Some of my CHARLIE PALMIERI favorites . . . 

Jazz (Alegre/Fania, rec. 1960s) - with the Alegre All Stars
Charlie Palmieri served as the Music Director on these recordings; tracks selected for this compilation by Bobby Sanabria

Impulsos (Coco, 1975)

A Giant Step (Tropical Budda, 1984)

Mambo Show (Tropical Budda, 1989) - with the Latin Music Legends
Again, CP is the MD; with Mongo Santamaria, Chombo Silva, Nicky Marrero, Barry Rogers, and others

Edited by HutchFan