New Mosaic Selects

Gary

• 3 weeks later...

David,

How is the sound on the Grachen Moncur III? I remember a post regarding the quality of the sound as not up to the Conn. versions. I can't really understand that, and when I intially inquired on this board I only received one response, which was positive with respect to the sound quality. I have been considering this one for some time since I have not been able to locate the Conn versions at a price that even comes close to the value offered by the Mosiac Select.

Anyway, good to hear that you are enjoying the set.

Thanks

I'm excited about the Bennie Green set. It's relatively inexpensive, too. For those familiar with the Randy Weston material, is it a good collection for someone with a limited amount of Weston in his library?

Edited by J Larsen

Guest Mnytime

I haven't picked up the Moncur either. First because of the screw up with Hipnosis on the first disc than there where several people that where complaining about the sound quality. I believe it was either on the All About Jazz or the old JC. They where either saying there was no improvement in the sound or they where worse than the TOCJ's and JRVG's. Since I already have everything but the Hipnosis recordings it wasn't worth spending the money with the negative comments on the sound.

the 2 new selects appear to have a date now on the jazzmatazz site

Bennie Green - The Complete Blue Note Bennie Green - 3 CDs (Mosaic Select 003) May 20

— all three of his albums as a leader ("Back on the Scene," "Soul Stirrin'," and "Walkin' and Talkin'"), plus the 45's session and Ike Quebec's "Congo Lament"

Randy Weston - Mosaic Select: Randy Weston - 3 CDs (Mosaic Select 004) May 20

— "Live At The 5 Spot" & "Little Niles" (originally on United Artists)

— "Uhuru Afrika Freedom Africa" and an unissued session (Roulette)

— "Piano a la Mode (Jubilee)

— "African Highlife" (Colpix)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sleuthing thru the link tells us September(?) for Patton. I wonder if a real date has been slated?

And what the heck is wrong with that Moncur Select? I chuffed off my TOCJs as well as the tremendous sounding JRVG of "One Step..." because I thought that Mr. McMaster had outdone himself on this set, especially on "...Beyond". Crisp, clear, nice bottom -an easy sound rival to the Japanese IMO...Finally. No one should be on the fence with that Moncur simply because of the sound. Now that piece o' crap box and that genuinely first-year-design-school-corporate-identity-class-typography is another thing all together.