What music did you NOT buy today?

BeBop

No idea what's out there, but I have the first two Blakey sets on an old RTE/Europe One 2-fer CD...if that's the one (or has the same material as the one) you're referring to, yeah, if it's there at a good price, carpe diem ASAP. Chuck put me on to those a while back and he was not joking.

No idea what's out there, but I have the first two Blakey sets on an old RTE/Europe One 2-fer CD...if that's the one (or has the same material as the one) you're referring to, yeah, if it's there at a good price, carpe diem ASAP. Chuck put me on to those a while back and he was not joking.

front.jpg

Is this the one? I downloaded that one with bittorrent (FLACs) and it didn't sound good. The samples on Allmusic from Parts 1 & 2 from the 2000 reissues sounded more promising. I'll await the arrival of part 3 before deciding.

p.s. You might say what does sound quality matter on a release like this, but the 1960 Davis Coltrane Olympia concert sounds quite good.

Edited by erwbol

Thanks for the tip. Just ordered using a year-old Amazon gift certificate I just found in a box.

I'll not guarantee "hi quality sound" for it, but when in bootleg mode (and these are not really bootlegs" per se), I tend to not worry about such things nearly as much, sometimes never.

Here's the deal - I don't know if there are any better sounding sources out there to be had, and they are remarkable performances. As the song says, it'll have to do, until the real thing comes along.

I'll not guarantee "hi quality sound" for it, but when in bootleg mode (and these are not really bootlegs" per se), I tend to not worry about such things nearly as much, sometimes never.

Here's the deal - I don't know if there are any better sounding sources out there to be had, and they are remarkable performances. As the song says, it'll have to do, until the real thing comes along.

Agreed!

There are three generations of these .... or of most of these.

first (double and quadruple discs, most of them long gone):

81fuo0D-ihL._SL1500_.jpg

second (digipacks, all single discs):

316FCGP0FXL.jpg

third (jewel cases in pairs in filmsy cardboard, sometimes sold as singles in the second hand markets or sales bins):

519pj77%2BzXL.jpg

the silliest bit were the SACDs of the third gen, usually pulling together material from a double disc set onto a single SACD, thus omitting plenty of good stuff (I had the Mulligan one and was pissed to find out there was a 2CD set, which of course I had to get as well):

51tTONkJHKL.jpg

not sure how exactly this works out with Blakey .... I've got two of the third generation's double sets (first and second concerts) and the tracklists given on amazon.fr don't seem to match up (I'd assume "Part 3" being disc 1 on of the second double disc, but if those tracklists are correct, that's not the case at all).

If you have those two double discs (no longer available cheaply) from Delta/Laserlight, you have everything. The same if you have all three Trema digipaks.

The part 3 digipak from Trema is track 5 from disc 1 and the whole of disc 2 of the first concert (Delta/Laserlight). Round Midnight and Night in Tunisia were the only tunes also played during the second concert.

The first 1993 Trema double CD you list contains the first four songs from the first concert and the whole of the second. That one is still available cheaply.

So Delta/Laserlight spreads all material from the two concerts over four discs. The Trema digipaks spread the same material over three discs. The 1993 Trema double CD is incomplete and contains everything from parts 1 & 2 from the digipaks, though in slightly different order.

Edited by erwbol