Bill McHenry

Guy Berger

I recently picked up McHenry's 3 albums w/Ben Monder, Reid Anderson and Paul Motian.  They're very good.

One thing that stands out - especially on Roses and Ghosts of the Sun - is how much this music revolves around Motian's idiosyncratic style.  It's just really hard to imagine what this music would sound like with a different drummer.

McHenry has a great sense for avant-garde drummers, given his subsequent partnership w/Andrew Cyrille.

I think McHenry is a really outstanding tenor player of our times. I don't know these albums with Motian you mention (I can't stand Motian, I avoid records with him), but I like LA PEUR DU VIDE on Sunnyside, as well as this obscure record .

And this one too: https://www.discogs.com/release/10479061-Richard-Andersson-6-Bill-McHenry-Jakob-Anderskov-RJ-Miller-Intuition .    

I very much enjoy McHenry's playing.  Among his records, I enjoy Roses the most.

I had a chance to see him at Smalls in NYC, years ago.  He's even more impressive live.

EDIT:
This one is good too.  

71M9hQp7AUL._UF600,600_QL80_.jpg

Echoes of West Coast jazz.

Edited by HutchFan