My next Mosaic

You mean you're a huge Louis Prima fan and you DON"T have the stuff in this set? :blink::unsure::wacko::g

I like this set a lot, mainly because I'm a Wingy Manone nut and I like Prima of this vintage a lot. The sound is very good. There are some killer sessions in here and very little filler. Some nice Pee Wee Russell. Very nice, really.

It's New Orleans jazz with a swing sauce liberally sprinkled on and lots of personality from the leaders. The remastering is excellent; a tad bright in some systems. Really good booklet as well.

I got a couple of the Chronological Classics CD of Louis Prima and found them enjoyable. So I tried the Mosaic. Somehow, the Mosaic didn't have the same effect on me. Not sure if it was the sheer quantity (6-CD) or what. Since alot of Mosaic was the same music that was on the Classics CDs. I'll give the Mosaic set another spin to see if I really need to keep it.

I have all of early Manone on the Collector's Classics label. There is plenty of excellent music played by a long list of top musicians associated with the 'trad-jazz' idiom. The sound quality is quite good for recordings of the era and should be even better on the Mosaic discs (as confirmed by jazzbo). Can't speak for the Louis Prima since I don't have any of his recordings. Based on the Manone material alone, it's a very worthy addition to a jazz collection and I'm sure looking forward to getting the set, even though there'll be many duplicates.

• 1 month later...