Jamaican music essentials

Big Wheel

Inspired by both the recent rocksteady threads and Hans's exhaustive classic blues list, I thought it would be good to have a similar thread for Jamaican recommendations, perhaps categorized by style. My collection is sorely lacking in this music--I think its sum total includes 2 Bob Marley CDs, plus a smattering of Skatalites mp3s on my PC. Other than that I've got a passing familiarity with dub and listen avidly to the great local public radio reggae show when I go home for breaks from school, but that's about it. Part of the reason I haven't jumped in headfirst is that the jazz listener in me is wary of compilations, which seem to be everywhere in the reggae and ska sections of the record stores.

So, what should I not be living without?

This could grow to be a huge list. I'll start with a few non-Marley discs I consider to be essential:

Augustus Pablo - Original Rockers (A friend of mine who is a huge reggae / dub fan called this disc the "dreadest album ever.")

Augustus Pablo - East of the River Nile

The Congos - Heart of the Congos (the 2 disc Blood and Fire set sound much better than the older version and has some nice extra material)

The Gladiators - Trenchtown Mix-up

Culture - Two Sevens Clash

I know I need to get some Lee Scratch Perry, but just haven't gotten around to it yet. I've been told the 3cd Arkology set is the way to go.

speaking of the Skatalites, I would also highly recommend Tommy McCook's Blazing Horns/Tenor in Roots, also on Blood and Fire. He was a founding member of the Skatalites and this set is a lot "jazzier" than the other discs I mentioned.

Edited by John B

I've always considered BIG YOUTH .:. Screaming Target a favorite. Always puts a smile on my face!

I'm picking up some Augustus Pablo today! We should also mention though that he is a melodica player. If you hate melodica, you might not like him as much. If you dislike melodica, he'll probably change your mind.

I've always considered BIG YOUTH .:. Screaming Target a favorite. Always puts a smile on my face!

I'm picking up some Augustus Pablo today! We should also mention though that he is a melodica player. If you hate melodica, you might not like him as much. If you dislike melodica, he'll probably change your mind.

Have you heard Dreadlocks Dread? That's the only Big Youth I've picked up so far and it is a lot of fun.

I had never really given the melodica a thought either way until hearing Augustus but these albums are fantastic! I also really like King Tubby Meets Rockers Uptown. (Augustus Pablo w/ King Tubby)

One must have a fair deal of Mr. Lee Scrtach Perry.

That Island Box would be a good thing to have.

And Roast Fish & Cornbread.

And the Upsetter Collection on Trojan, which would get you that Gatherers single I recommended.

and, on Blue Note (!), Rico, Man from Waraika!

--eric

I highly recommend the new two-disc Deluxe version of the soundtrack to "The Harder They Come." This set has dynamite improved sound! The artist most represented is Jimmy Cliff, who was the star of the movie, but it also includes a number of tracks by other great Jamaican artists. The first disc is the original LP remastered and the second disc is other songs from the same period and many of the same artists. I know it's a compiliation, but it's a brillant one and the original soundtrack had a big role in popularizing Jamaican music around the world, I think.

Disc: 1

1. You Can Get It if You Really Want - Jimmy Cliff

2. Draw Your Brakes Listen Listen

3. Rivers of Babylon - The Melodians

4. Many Rivers to Cross - Jimmy Cliff

5. Sweet and Dandy - The Maytals

6. Harder They Come - Jimmy Cliff

7. Johnny Too Bad - The Slickers

8. 007 (Shanty Town) - Desmond Dekker

9. Pressure Drop - The Maytals

10. Sitting in Limbo - Jimmy Cliff

11. You Can Get It if You Really Want - Jimmy Cliff

12. Harder They Come - Jimmy Cliff

Disc: 2

1. Israelites - Desmond Dekker

2. My Conversation

3. Do the Reggay - The Maytals

4. Viet Nam - Jimmy Cliff

5. I Can See Clearly Now - Johnny Nash

6. Reggae Hit the Town - The Ethiopians

7. Double Barrel - Ansel Collins

8. It Mek - Desmond Dekker

9. Sweet Sensation - The Melodians

10. Let Your Yeah Be Yeah - Jimmy Cliff

11. Cherry Oh Baby - Eric Donaldson

12. Monkey Spanner - Ansel Collins

13. 54-36 (That's My Number) - The Maytals

14. It's My Delight - The Melodians

15. Wonderful World, Beautiful People - Jimmy Cliff

16. Pomp and Pride - The Maytals

17. Guava Jelly - Johnny Nash

18. Bigger They Come the Harder They Fall - Jimmy Cliff

Edited by HWright

Guest akanalog

they are not all essential but i would recommend exploring the trojan records box sets. they are all 3 CDs and pretty cheap (18.00 around here in new york) and have some good material. i really like the dancehall one (older dancehall-not the electronic stuff), the dub ones are good also as is the producers box set. they are all good depending what you are in to actually from what i have heard-which includes the DJ box, the roots box, the rastafari box and the lee perry box in addition to what i have listed previously-well i did not like one or two-i think i disliked the intrumental box set maybe. personally i get sick of reggae and related forms of music pretty quickly, but with the weather getting nice i can see myself pulling out some old favorites soon.

I highly recommend the new two-disc Deluxe version of the soundtrack to "The Harder They Come." This set has dynamite improved sound! The artist most represented is Jimmy Cliff, who was the star of the movie, but it also includes a number of tracks by other great Jamaican artists. The first disc is the original LP remastered and the second disc is other songs from the same period and many of the same artists. I know it's a compiliation, but it's a brillant one and the original soundtrack had a big role in popularizing Jamaican music around the world, I think.

1. You Can Get It if You Really Want - Jimmy Cliff Listen Listen Listen

2. Draw Your Brakes Listen Listen Listen

3. Rivers of Babylon - The Melodians Listen Listen Listen

5. Sweet and Dandy - The Maytals Listen Listen Listen

6. Harder They Come - Jimmy Cliff Listen Listen Listen

2. My Conversation

This is great. Love that "Pressure Drop."

I picked this one up on Friday after some recs in the Early Reggae thread:

B000068Q27.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Oh yeah. :rhappy::tup Wife digs it too. :winky:

Guest akanalog

oh, i didnt know there was an earlier thread mentioning the trojans. well either way, they are definitely a good way to learn about a lot of jamaican musicians and musical styles relatively inexpensively.

i should also mention everything i have heard on the blood and fire label is awesome. high quality stuff.

speaking of which-here is something to recommend...

yabba you-jesus dread (2 CDs on blood and fire)

don't hear people talk about him too often, but great stuff...he was into jesus rather than jah i think...

hmm, i have never added an image to a post...let's try it...

also if no one mentioned it...

the congos-heart of the congos (also on blood and fire or sometimes found on sketchy random labels like my copy) this is a lee perry production i am sure has been mentioned in an earlier reggae thread, but it is great too.

I think the Heptones are the most under appreciated (in 'the States' at least) group in reggae. "Book of Rules" from their generally fine Night Food album may be my fav reggae song ever. Disclaimer: I generally prefer the rock steady through classic reggae period(s) (late '60s to mid '70s) and don't care much for dub at all. Dancehall and other later styles I find pretty hit and miss...

1. You Can Get It if You Really Want - Jimmy Cliff Listen Listen Listen

2. Draw Your Brakes Listen Listen Listen

3. Rivers of Babylon - The Melodians Listen Listen Listen

5. Sweet and Dandy - The Maytals Listen Listen Listen

6. Harder They Come - Jimmy Cliff Listen Listen Listen

2. My Conversation

I have the remastered single disc (original album) version. How essential is that second disc in the Deluxe Edition?

Part of the reason I haven't jumped in headfirst is that the jazz listener in me is wary of compilations, which seem to be everywhere in the reggae and ska sections of the record stores.

I can't believe I'm saying this but....don't be afraid of the compilations. Ther reason there are so many comps in reggae is because a number of songs were only released on either 45 or 12" single. Basically, the LP that do get reissued straight up are one that were issued by the major labels like Island, etc.

I know this sounds silly but, with reggae CDs you pretty much can judge a book by its cover. Especially those comps. Anything with a sunset, palm trees, and other corny shit like that is going to be awful. The good reissue labels like Heartbeat, Blood & Fire and (whoever runs) Trojan all have pretty cool artwork. These are almost without question the best labels out there.

I already went through my list on the rocksteady thread so you can go back and look at that if you like. Everything on there--and I mean everything--is dynamite.

As far as the singles angle goes, the same seems to hold true for a lot of early U.S. R&B. Singers weren't afforded a full recording session until they hit big with a single or two. Its all about the jukebox.

The comps are also great because ska is a very small range of musical ideas, as is rocksteady, as is early reggae. Some people attribute the change in tempo directly to the extreme heat the island was experiencing. Year after year, tempos slowed down as the temperature rose. These were functional and social music styles. The variety in much of this music rests mainly on the singers. You buy one rocksteady album, chances are you are going to love it, or get bored quick. With the comps, you get a taste of many vocalists, most of whom used a common stable of musicians. Honestly, you can't go wrong with the Trojan comps. They know better than we do!

The electric organs also provided variety from group to group. Seems to me this is where the experimentation began. Before long, other ideas were introduced and producers added another element to the mellowed dance music. Not entirely unlike bebop, this music had a different vantage point of the dance floor.

I love dub, but good dub is hard to find. It has been trial by error for me. Even a sureshot like Lee Perry ain't such a sure shot. I could use some guidance in this area for sure.

I love dub, but good dub is hard to find. It has been trial by error for me. Even a sureshot like Lee Perry ain't such a sure shot. I could use some guidance in this area for sure.

I much prefer the King Tubby school of dub (also incl. Prince Jammy, Scientist) over Scratch. Tubby was a for-real engineer. Tubby and crew did a lot more technical stuff like riding faders throughout entire songs and applying conflicting delay rates simultaneously. Scratch was a little too *kitchen sink* for me, though he's clearly a legendary figure.

These are absolutely essential:

Dennis Brown - Money In My Pocket (2 cd set from Trojan)

Gorgeous vocals and music from one of Jamaica's great artists.

African Head Charge:

A FANTASIC dub album. One of the great bands of the 80's, in any genre.

Edited by Stefan Wood

Adam says "I have the remastered single disc (original album) version. How essential is that second disc in the Deluxe Edition?"

The second disc is very enjoyable, less essential than the first perhaps, but quite good all the same. One thing it has going for it is that it has Johnny Nash's great song "I Can See Clearly Now" on it and the extra Jimmy Cliff songs like "Vietnam" and "Let Your Yeah be Yeah" are pretty good too.

Edited by HWright

A couple Jimmy Cliff tracks on that second disc, like Vietnam and Wonderful World, Beautiful people are from one of my all time favorite Jimmy Cliff albums: Wonderful World, Beautiful People. It's real "up" and perhaps more soul feeling, with strings--not the grittier sound you might associate with the early 70s. But it's been a staple in my collection for ages. Try not singing along.